Default Is Generation Y Self-Absorbed?

Simple question. Complex answer.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

Aren't most people in general self-absorbed?

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhart View Post
    Aren't most people in general self-absorbed?
    What, like people currently or people over the span of human history? I think many people are self-"ish", but not always for the same reasons or in the same ways.

Is there something that distinguishes Generation Y, or contemporary culture as a whole, as differently self absorbed?

Banned
    MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    5w4

Generation X is more self-absorbed than Generation Y and the Baby Boomers.
    The Baby Boomers were traditional,
    Generation X tried to get away from the Baby Boomers and their traditional ways,
    Generation Y don't even know what the fuck they're doing because Generation X fucked it all up.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

It's probably too soon to tell.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by angell_m View Post
    Generation X tried to get away from the Baby Boomers and their traditional ways,
    Generation Y don't even know what the fuck they're doing because Generation X fucked it all up.
    Actually, the Boomers were the most idealistic and rebellious of recent generations when young. They have overall been a highly untraditional generation (for better and for worse).

Gen Xers were mostly raised by parents of the Great Generation, when Gen Yers (aka Millennials) are the children of the Baby Boomers. That's why Gen X is a smaller cohort than the generations on either side (in the US, there are around 70 million Boomers and Gen Yers, while there are only about 43 million Gen Xers). This means Gen Xers are comparatively less powerful and less a media and marketing focus than the Boomers or Gen Y.

Like many Gen Yers, many Gen Xers left school at a time of diminished expectations (depending on the timing), although Xers didn't face anything as bad as the current job market. Graduating into a bad job market tends to lead to being labeled as lazy or being "boomerang kids."

I would say, compared to us Gen Xers, Gen Yers seem to have had a much more managed, scheduled existence during childhood. While some people ascribe an extended childhood to Gen Y, to me is seems almost like an early adulthood where you have felt responsible for managing your success and avoiding failure from an early age. It seems from my perspective that Boomer parents seemed to force a kind of achievement-ism on their kids from pre-school on.

My Gen Y coworkers seem like a good group, overall. I haven't had any real conflicts with them at work, so I can't speak to their expectations as coworkers. The old stereotype was that Gen Yers feel more entitled and expect work to be more flexible. No idea if that's true, and it seems a bit unlikely in the current work environment, where most people are clinging to whatever job they can find.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    What, like people currently or people over the span of human history? I think many people are self-"ish", but not always for the same reasons or in the same ways.

Is there something that distinguishes Generation Y, or contemporary culture as a whole, as differently self absorbed?
    I would suggest the idealisation of self-absorbtion, due to the misuse and popularisation of psycholgical concepts relating to the development of an authentic sense of self, as a possible factor. SelfLESSness was in most previous eras held up as the popular ideal to which members of society should aspire, after all. There are other factors coming into play, but this may be the one which has the most potent impact on the generation you refer to, in comparison with others.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by angell_m View Post
    What? Maybe you're talking about a country other than the US (maybe Norway?), but if you're talking about the US, this is not correct. The Baby Boomer generation has been anything but traditional.

Flower power - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

What the heck?? I posted a nice, long, well-thought-out reply to this, and I just noticed it didn't show up. Dang it! I don't feel like typing it out again.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    Modern technology makes it a lot easier (and cheaper) to disconnect from society.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."