User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Is Generation Y Self-Absorbed?

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Tourist View Post
    That's not too accurate:
    1974: oil embargo, resulting in severe energy shortages
    mid to late 1970s: stagflation (inflation combined with high unemployment)
    The times of economic boom came to an abrupt halt in the mid-1970s. Baby boomers (born in 1956-1964) entering the job market in about 1978 through the mid-1980s faced an uncertain future, underemployment, and a reduced standard of living.
    I have read some articles which describe the "second half" of the baby boom generation as a "lost generation," sandwiched between the older baby boomers and generation x.
    It's plenty accurate for the Boomers born in the 40s and early 50s. Sure, the 70s wasn't a walk in the park, but they were better than what we're facing now, and you can't even compare it to the Great Depression.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

468 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I am right on the borderline, too.

I'm about the oldest of the Milennials.

And my take is this: this generation is going to change everything.

Our entire social structure is gunna be wiped out and replaced by a new one over the next 20-40 years.

That's not to say that a lot won't stay the same; the truth always has and always will be that some things change some things stay the same.

But this generation is going to respond to this crisis, which was brought on by the fucking selfish, son-of-a-bitch baby boomers, and completely revolutionize the way we do things.

All the talk about how generation Y acts so entitled, yada yada yada, it's all already starting to fade.

Eventually, it's gunna be crammed down the throats of our elders, as they sit back and realize, "holy fuck! these kids actually pulled it off..."

We don't care about the older generations' stupid culture war; we want to end that war.

We are pragmatists; we are capable of seeing things from multiple perspectives; and, perhaps most importantly, we are PHENOMENAL TEAM PLAYERS.

Together, we're gunna fucking rock this thing!

Tear down this old, decrepit structure that is completely and totally unsustainable, and restructure the whole fucking nation in a way that will last for the rest of the century.

It's already underway; and there ain't no way of stopping it!
    Talkin' about my g-g-g-g-generation
    My generation
    This is my generation baby

Why don't you all fade away? (die)
    And don't try to dig what we all say
    I'm not trying to cause a big sensation
    Just talking about my generation ...

Ah, it's cracking me up. Do it, save the world! I hope you do!

4w5 sx/so

Old lady, I have two words for you: death panels...

And/or: soylent green...

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    *goes back to smoking Cheetohs and playing Xbox with feelings of entitlement.*