User Tag List

First 5678 Last

MBTI
    yupp

one note on generation y: it's infested with hipsters

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

The Baby Boom generation includes all people who were born from 1946 through 1964.
    There are zillions of us. It's because our parents reproduced like... um... rabbits.
    Hence, baby boomers like salad. A lot.
    So, the care and feeding of baby boomers should include lots of salad.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    I you were born in the 60's, so you are a X, not a Baby Bommer.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

Whether or not these characterizations of "baby boomers" has anything to do with me is irrelevant. Characterizing an entire generation of people (in this case, 76 million people) is absurd and is stereotyping and probably prejudice. And, so, for that reason, I would not refer to "generation Y" as self-absorbed" or "generation x" as "jaded slackers."
    People don't choose the year of their birth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    The youngest boomers, like myself, were born in the 60s. I wouldn't call popping out of my Mom's body, "coming of age." I'm not offended by anything you posted. It has nothing to do with me.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    And I just want them to die. This country will be better off once they move on. They're responsible for so many problems, like the enormous federal debt (Boomers, not Republicans or Democrats, Boomers) and the divisive political atmosphere because they're so materialistic and ideologically entrenched. Those traits aren't as prevalent in younger generations.
    It's so nice that we've been agreeing lately.

Although all that stuff about civil rights was cool in the 60's...I honestly don't know what went wrong with the Baby Boomers. They seemed like such nice people at first.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    The present population of students at my University is currently often described as being Generation Me , because in some courses they hide even books from each other so the others wont have tioo good grades. That all should be Generation Ys and I dont know how far spread this attitude is, but its a bit unsettling.

The older people who still run my workplace are much more chill than my generation, in my generation everyone feels pressured for showing outstanding performance at everything he does. That's why I quickly fell down the ladder into the lazy nerds club back then in school, cause I didnt continually brought good results in school.

I hope this egocentrism isnt to wide spread, otherwise I'll sadly have to leave this country
    I think this would be better understood via MBTI, not generational analysis: you are a worthless NTP.

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Tourist View Post
    Characterizing an entire generation of people (in this case, 76 million people) is absurd and is stereotyping and probably prejudice. And, so, for that reason, I would not refer to "generation Y" as self-absorbed" or "generation x" as "jaded slackers."
    When bigotry reaches high levels, there is no point in trying to educate people who have gone past the point of no return. That means they will not only engage in stereotyping of generations, but most likely any type of group - including MBTI groups.

MBTI
    ENFJ

The reason why Gen Y seems self-absorbed is because at the moment they're teenagers or in their early 20s, and all throughout history people this age are self-absorbed. It's too early to tell if they are truly self-absorbed, as the baby boomer generation seems to be.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    It's so nice that we've been agreeing lately.

Although all that stuff about civil rights was cool in the 60's...I honestly don't know what went wrong with the Baby Boomers. They seemed like such nice people at first.
    Here are a couple reasons off the top of the my head:
    -They've never really faced any hardships (no Civil War, World War, or Great Depression).
    -They were born into arguably the most economically prosperous era in the history of the US.

I'm sure I could come up with many more if I spent time thinking about it.

This isn't really the Boomers' fault, at least not on an individual level.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Tourist View Post
    Whether or not these characterizations of "baby boomers" has anything to do with me is irrelevant. Characterizing an entire generation of people (in this case, 76 million people) is absurd and is stereotyping and probably prejudice. And, so, for that reason, I would not refer to "generation Y" as self-absorbed" or "generation x" as "jaded slackers."
    People don't choose the year of their birth.
    This is true in some sense, but to deny that different generations have different outlooks on the world would be equally flawed. There is some truth to the idea that Boomers have a certain character, but only when you look at them as a group, not as individuals.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

That's not too accurate:
    1974: oil embargo, resulting in severe energy shortages
    mid to late 1970s: stagflation (inflation combined with high unemployment)
    The times of economic boom came to an abrupt halt in the mid-1970s. Baby boomers (born in 1956-1964) entering the job market in about 1978 through the mid-1980s faced an uncertain future, underemployment, and a reduced standard of living.
    I have read some articles which describe the "second half" of the baby boom generation as a "lost generation," sandwiched between the older baby boomers and generation x.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I could come up with lots of reasons:
    -They've never really faced any hardships (no Civil War, World War, or Great Depression).
    -They were born into arguably the most economically prosperous era in the history of the US.

That's just a couple off the top of my head. I'm sure I could come up with many more. It's not really their fault, at least not on an individual level.