User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

The typical Baby-Boomer is a guy born in 1951. The 18 years old hyppie who was drunk at Woodstock in 1969 and the 30 years old yuppie in 1981 who voted for Reagan is often the same person. Baby-Boomer were idealistic, individualistic, narcissicist and definetely self-absorbed.

The typical X is born in 1971. As a child he saw Baby-Boomers praise free love and free sexualty, but when he was in age to practice sex, AIDS was here. In France, the X matured during the end of the 30 Glorieuses, economical crisis, explosion of unemployement and delinquency, including juvenile delinquency. Baby-Boomer were idealistic, individualistic, narcissicist and definetely self-absorbed, X are more adaptive, disillusioned and cynic.

For the "rebellious" thing, it depends. Actually, the generation theory say the BOOM Generation were Prophet of a new cycle, in rupture with the Silent Generation and the G.I Generation. Baby-Boomer and X who had them as paretns are often "rebellious", while Y who have Babay-Boomer and X as parents are very family oriented and usually feel understood by their parents.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    The youngest boomers, like myself, were born in the 60s. I wouldn't call popping out of my Mom's body, "coming of age." I'm not offended by anything you posted. It has nothing to do with me.
    I you were born in the 60's, so you are a X, not a Baby Bommer.

By the way, I don't really share the same enthusiasm than some peoples here about our generation (Y). Yes, we are probably going to change the world. But past experiences show that Builders Generation (like Generation Y or the Greatest Generation) just attend collapse of a regimented society to replace it by another regimented society. So, not so glorious. The G.I Generation were raiser of Superpower America and anti-commies paranoid. I can see Y implement a global government under extreme influence of technology.

Actually, I think the generation next to us, Generation Z, can be more interesting. Fouth generation, like Generation Z or the Silent Generation, are often very creative and preparator of the next Secular. They are call Artist or Adaptative generation. The last on invented Rock'n Roll, I'm curious to see what Z will invent.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I'm just saying that baby boomers still seem pretty narcissistic...they're the ones who have sped up things like convenience living, they drive SUVs...part of what Gen X were rebelling against is what they saw as the materialism and self-absorption of the boomers (completely contrary to what Angell suggested...it seems to me he's thinking of the Great Generation being more traditional and selfless, but that could just be an American thing). Even as they age, the boomers don't want to fucking die. It's like they're planning to live forever so they can be a financial burden on the smaller number of people in younger generations working now.

No offense, but I'm not a fan. That doesn't mean I don't like individual people from the boomer generation, though. My mom is a baby boomer. Also they did some cool stuff...like the oldest of the boomers came of age in the 60's, and I like the both the Mod and Hippie movements. New Wave from the early 80's also rocks, so I'm not hatin'.
    And I just want them to die. This country will be better off once they move on. They're responsible for so many problems, like the enormous federal debt (Boomers, not Republicans or Democrats, Boomers) and the divisive political atmosphere because they're so materialistic and ideologically entrenched. Those traits aren't as prevalent in younger generations.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Millennials aren't self-absorbed, but to older generations we can seem that way, because we're very anti-authoritarian. The ones who think we're self-absorbed are the ones who go apoplectic when after they say "jump," instead of saying "how high," we say "how come?"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I have kids who are Gen Y and they and their friends don't seem super self-absorbed to me. My kids are actually kind of appalled at the irresponsible, selfish behavior of their Boomer grandparents. I'm sure they will probably come to see their Gen X dad and I as underachieving loosers, but I like to think it's because they've had better parenting than we did.

I wasn't expected to be particularly responsible, but I had to grow up quickly emotionally because my mother was like a big kid who treated me more like a friend than a child.

I know how tough it is out there, so though I try to allow my kids to be kids emotionally and maintain my position as the one who deals with the serious crap and who is in charge, I expect my children to be responsible in terms of self-care and school. A debt-free education, good work habits, and a realistic view of the world are the best things I know to give them to help them survive the screwed up economy they are going to be facing when they begin their careers. That and a safe place to land and relaunch from.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

I don't know that it's so much a generation thing as a current age thing in some cases... I've seen many people that would fall into the baby boomer age that are really self absorbed... Does that mean decades ago that was the same case? Doubtful! For example, I was waiting for the next available cashier at my doctor's office one day, and this elderly lady just walked right up to the cashier when the woman left even though she saw me waiting for the next one, the cashier looked at me and I just shook my head and told her it was okay and to not worry about it. I've had that happen numerous times. If I was self-absorbed wouldn't I have just knocked the old bat down and gone ahead? Another example is my fiance dealt with the same thing at the Social Security Office, he was waiting for his turn and in walks this older couple and even though there is a sign right at the entrance that says to take a number they just ignored it and went straight to the window and basically cut in front of everyone....When the guy at the window told them they needed to take a number and wait their turn they went off on him... Poor guy...

I also think some of it has to do with your lifestyle... I've seen many rich folks that seem to have a sense of entitlement and don't feel like they should have to wait in line like everyone else. I've also seen some very poor people with the same sense of entitlement that they deserve handouts because they are less fortunate.

So, to be honest, I don't think any generation is more self absorbed than another generation. Maybe at certain ages they are, but I don't think it has to do strictly with someone's generation.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

These stories about selfish old people make me wanna start up a Soylent Green program...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    These stories about selfish old people make me wanna start up a Soylent Green program...

Those people are nasty. Maybe for pet food?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP

Is generation Y self-absorbed...

It's called swag. Nothin wrong with swag.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

The present population of students at my University is currently often described as being Generation Me , because in some courses they hide even books from each other so the others wont have tioo good grades. That all should be Generation Ys and I dont know how far spread this attitude is, but its a bit unsettling.

The older people who still run my workplace are much more chill than my generation, in my generation everyone feels pressured for showing outstanding performance at everything he does. That's why I quickly fell down the ladder into the lazy nerds club back then in school, cause I didnt continually brought good results in school.

I hope this egocentrism isnt to wide spread, otherwise I'll sadly have to leave this country
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]