MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    The catalysts are seldom the pinnacle.

I'm no fan of the that cultural wave myself, but I still don't think it was as self-absorbed as what we've got now. Back then they had this cognitively dissonant combination of wanting to be communal, and yet telling everyone to "do their own thing", and various other plays on that contradiction. At this point, the average young American has no such cognitive dissonance. It's clearly and solely about getting it your own way.

But as I said earlier, they are also the ones that kicked-off the obsession with getting kids to have high self-esteem.
    Personally I don't think high self-esteem is the problem. I think it's laissez-faire parenting, lack of discipline...basically parents feeling guilty they're at work all the time, so making up for it by buying their kids a bunch of stuff, and letting things slide. Also, an over-emphasis on scheduled acheivement as opposed to relationships.

I was raised to achieve. I was raised to think I was special and smart. But I was also disciplined. Severely. That's because I had the influence of my grandparents, and I'm actually thankful for that.

A lot of boomer parents were also irresponsibile because they were old hippies or old people who partied a lot, so there's that too, especially in the lower-income households. In fact, that's why my grandparents pretty much raised me...but I know people my age whose grandparents did not step in, who were raised with absolutely no structure or discipline or really proper care at all.

So there you have two extremes raised by the Boomers. One main complaint that I have in my daily life about Gen Y are the ones on the younger end have that crazy sense of entitlement, and they do have that more than Gen X or even older Gen Y-ers.

Something's wrong with every generation. But it's all connected, of course. People are products of the way they were raised and the culture they live in. So these problems are going to be complex.

All I can say on this topic is that I think Edie Sedgwick was a hell of a lot cooler than Paris Hilton. Take that however you will.

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I'm just saying that baby boomers still seem pretty narcissistic...they're the ones who have sped up things like convenience living, they drive SUVs...part of what Gen X were rebelling against is what they saw as the materialism and self-absorption of the boomers (completely contrary to what Angell suggested...it seems to me he's thinking of the Great Generation being more traditional and selfless, but that could just be an American thing). Even as they age, the boomers don't want to fucking die. It's like they're planning to live forever so they can be a financial burden on the smaller number of people in younger generations working now.

No offense, but I'm not a fan. That doesn't mean I don't like individual people from the boomer generation, though. My mom is a baby boomer. Also they did some cool stuff...like the youngest of the boomers came of age in the 60's, and I like the both the Mod and Hippie movements. New Wave from the early 80's also rocks, so I'm not hatin'.
    The youngest boomers, like myself, were born in the 60s. I wouldn't call popping out of my Mom's body, "coming of age." I'm not offended by anything you posted. It has nothing to do with me.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    The youngest boomers, like myself, were born in the 60s. I wouldn't call popping out of my Mom's body, "coming of age." I'm not offended by anything you posted. It has nothing to do with me.
    Sorry, I meant oldest. I changed it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

That Other Type Related Web Site contains a thread called "Baby Boomers Need To Apologize to the World"

I hope Ray 9 doesn't hate me for quoting him:

"Boomers need to apologize to the world.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The boomer generation, the woodstock generation, the "Great Society" generation must apologize to those who follow us for creating the circumstances that will, in all liklihood, bring about the destruction of the greatest civilization in the history of the modern world, the United States. Our largest cities are all on the brink of bankruptcy due to the fact that millions have become multi-generational dependants on entitlement programs spawned by Lyndon Johnson's failed social experiment, "The great society". Many of these cities have become lawless war zones where illegal drug trafficking and violent crime are the rule not the exception. We are the generation of greed and self-gratification gone wild and the only redeeming component of our time here is that many of us are dropping like flies from the bad habits of our selfish wasted lives. We are and have been horrible examples to following generations who will suffer the consequences of a world that is much worse than it was for us. Our children are lazy and addicted to pot and our grandchildren are fat. Let me be the first to say I'm sorry."

I think that about sums it up. I was really impressed.

"The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed--for lack of a better word--is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms--greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge--has marked the upward surge of mankind. And greed--you mark my words--will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA." -Gordon Gekko.

Lol.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I blame parents, Facebook, urban planning, and, hmm...who else can I blame...definitely not myself...Oprah.

Parents - Not teaching their children how to communicate properly and feel emotionally self-sufficient.
    Facebook - The news feed has made lots of people glory seekers. Immediate positive reinforcement has created glory-addicts.
    Urban planning - Not done properly, makes neighborhoods and communities hard to form, leading people to wonder what their role in society is, causing them to think too much about what they're supposed to do and how they're going to impact the entire world, rather than their community.
    Oprah - Her and Dr. Phil has put so much emphasis on people and their personal struggle for happiness and given them license to obsess about their comparative level of success.

Ginkgo

"The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed--for lack of a better word--is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms--greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge--has marked the upward surge of mankind. And greed--you mark my words--will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA."

Lol.
    I'm no fan of mind control or the 10th commandment "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors' goods". After all, It's covetous behavior that fuels the economy and society as a whole. However, when coveting leads to theft or manipulation rather than fair transactions, we have a problem. In other words - everyone must have mutual coveting for mutual trade to occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    I'm no fan of mind control or the 10th commandment "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors' goods". After all, It's covetous behavior that fuels the economy and society as a whole. However, when coveting leads to theft or manipulation rather than fair transactions, we have a problem. In other words - everyone must have mutual coveting for mutual trade to occur.
    You're too young to be able to laugh at that speech. It was Michael Douglas in the movie, Wall Street.

Ginkgo

You're too young to be able to laugh at that speech. It was Michael Douglas in the movie, Wall Street.
    Oh, ok pops. *goes back to smoking Cheetohs and playing Xbox with feelings of entitlement.*

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    I dont know I'd equate legitimate self interest or supplying your own needs with covetousness, its more of an obsessive behaviour to my mind and about wanting something simply because someone else has it, that could well fuel the economy but simply because it does that doesnt make it good, class struggles fuel the economy too, I dont think they are good. Or it could just be semantics.