User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    And my take is this: this generation is going to change everything.
    yeah, TOTALLY.
    they are cracking heads already. when i see what the young people now are pulling off.... it is crazy... i see KIDS, still young kids who are coming up with businesses and projects and these widespread global things that are blowing up and changing the world. they are ALREADY changing the world in a huge way.
    it makes me feel slow and old. hahaha!! young as i am, and i see these highschoolers who are making massive waves. do it!! change the fucking world!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Could anyone really be more self-absorbed than the baby boomers?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Could anyone really be more self-absorbed than the baby boomers?
    Youth these days aim to impress.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Man I hate these names...

I think Gen. Y is self-absorbed, but I think Gen. X was too. The endemic narcissism our society has might have really started taking off in the 70s, actually. It was certainly already in bloom in the 80s.
    Right. BY THE BABY BOOMERS.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    The Me Generation? Yuppies?

The Me Generation? Yuppies?
    What is the issue here, rich kids who shopped at Ralph Lauren and Neiman Marcus?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    What is the issue here, rich kids who shopped at Ralph Lauren and Neiman Marcus?
    I'm just saying that baby boomers still seem pretty narcissistic...they're the ones who have sped up things like convenience living, they drive SUVs...part of what Gen X were rebelling against is what they saw as the materialism and self-absorption of the boomers (completely contrary to what Angell suggested...it seems to me he's thinking of the Great Generation being more traditional and selfless, but that could just be an American thing). Even as they age, the boomers don't want to fucking die. It's like they're planning to live forever so they can be a financial burden on the smaller number of people in younger generations working now.

No offense, but I'm not a fan. That doesn't mean I don't like individual people from the boomer generation, though. My mom is a baby boomer. Also they did some cool stuff...like the oldest of the boomers came of age in the 60's, and I like the both the Mod and Hippie movements. New Wave from the early 80's also rocks, so I'm not hatin'.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Oh, I'd also like to add that they're the ones who made it "normal" to lock your elderly parents in a nursing home and have your kids raised by daycare, so that's why I don't feel so bad complaining about their massive plots for eternal youth.

Also, they made it mainstream to give your kids Things instead of Love, which is apparently makes Gen Y such spoiled little monsters, amirite?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

The catalysts are seldom the pinnacle.

I'm just saying that baby boomers still seem pretty narcissistic...they're the ones who have sped up things like convenience living, they drive SUVs...part of what Gen X were rebelling against is what they saw as the materialism and self-absorption of the boomers (completely contrary to what Angell suggested...it seems to me he's thinking of the Great Generation being more traditional and selfless, but that could just be an American thing). Even as they age, the boomers don't want to fucking die. It's like they're planning to live forever so they can be a financial burden on the smaller number of people in younger generations working now.

No offense, but I'm not a fan. That doesn't mean I don't like individual people from the boomer generation, though. My mom is a baby boomer. Also they did some cool stuff...like the youngest of the boomers came of age in the 60's, and I like the both the Mod and Hippie movements. New Wave from the early 80's also rocks, so I'm not hatin'.
    I'm no fan of the that cultural wave myself, but I still don't think it was as self-absorbed as what we've got now. Back then they had this cognitively dissonant combination of wanting to be communal, and yet telling everyone to "do their own thing", and various other plays on that contradiction. At this point, the average young American has no such cognitive dissonance. It's clearly and solely about getting it your own way.

Also, they made it mainstream to give your kids Things instead of Love, which is apparently makes Gen Y such spoiled little monsters, amirite?
    But as I said earlier, they are also the ones that kicked-off the obsession with getting kids to have high self-esteem.
    Go to sleep, iguana.