User Tag List

First 12345 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    I'm starting to see definite voyeuristic potential for this thread if anyone takes the bait:

"It's the Hippies, stupid!"

"No, stupid, it's the Capitalists."

"Hippies!"

"Capitalists!"

"HIPPPIES!"

"CAPITALISTS!"

The hippies were great for capitalists.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Hippies were mostly the Silent Generation and old Boomers. When you think of most of the Boomers, think the '70s, disco, cocaine and the 1980s Decade of Greed.

That's why they were very "traditional." Their older siblings might have been unabashed liberals, but the Boomers elected Reagan and Bush, for chrissakes.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Just saw this chart and found it relevant/interesting.

Notice when the number of independents started its now decades-long march?

I would argue that this image shows that people have begun putting their own views above those that they were given from birth by "society".

In light of this image/interpretation, I ask you this, Tater: what are the things one could be absorbed in?

The first that come to mind for me, at least, are:

1) self
    2) society
    3) world

It seems that the conformative society of which we've spoke would be one in which members were absorbed in society, and in such a way that they subordinate themselves to the mandates of society.

Would that be a better arrangement than what we have today? One in which people are becoming more independently-minded?

To what extent might this "self-absorption" of which you speak relate to a simple-rearranging of priorities with regards to those three potential objects of absorption?

Perhaps people have rearranged their priorities such that they, as individuals, are now on top, and perhaps society on bottom?

Perhaps the world at large has now become more important than society as well, reducing nationalistic tendencies?

Perhaps we will find that alien races exist and then there will be more layers of distinction, like global vs cosmic?

Is there anything wrong with rearranging the order of these priorities? Could this perhaps be a good thing?

It seems to me that there is a complex relationship between the three (or more)...

Banned
    MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    What? Maybe you're talking about a country other than the US (maybe Norway?), but if you're talking about the US, this is not correct. The Baby Boomer generation has been anything but traditional.

Flower power - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    wait, are you still crying about something i wrote in another thread?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

When they first really spoke of generations, and the term "Boomers" was coined, it was the older generation calling them self-absorbed and the "Me Generation".

They come of age, and go from hippies to yuppies (giving in to the establishment in order to live good), and then, it's the cynical GenX that is called self-absorbed.

So now, it's the next generation's turn?

Everyone takes their generation as some sort of standard, with the one before them as too rigid, and the one after them too wayward.

The generations are believed to occur in 80 year cycles of four.

According to this book:
    Amazon.com: Death of the Church (0025986200060): Mike Regele, Mark Schulz: Books

Builders (born 1901 - 1924)
    Silents (born 1925 - 1942)
    Boomers (born 1943 - 1960)
    Survivors (born 1961 - 1981)

The generation after this (Y or Milennials; this book is actually where I first saw that name) is supposed to be the next "Builders". Already, someone has commented their upbringing is much more structured then the previous generation. Also, the book posits that some disaster might occur in their time, leading them to have to rebuild. In the previous cycle, it was the Depression. We've been having a lot of relatively smaller disasters in recent years.

Prior to the previous cycle's "Builders" were what was known back then as "the lost generation". This would be the counterpart to Gen X. the silents are also known as "Blockers". They're the traditionalists who oppose progress. Of course, many of them did start the whole beatnik/hippie revolution when they were younger.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

i know a ton of young people who are so self-motivated and DRIVEN and selfless and have massive bottomless power and force of mind.
    i know lots of young people, in highschool now or college - who are just so amazingly driven, they have this presence of mind and clarity that is totally STAGGERING. they just have such CLARITY and PURPOSE. and they are totally motivated and powered by other people, they find all these AMAZING ways to help people that NO ONE has ever seen or taken advantage of before.... they are TAKING CONTROL OF LIFE, in a HUGE WAY.

there are a lot of lost and wrecked kids too, and i guess that i do know tons of kids like that. but to write off a generation as anything....... that is fucked, man. FUCKED.
    Generation Y has some hard cases - and some amazing kids who are blowing the world apart and changing hearts.

i think all this "generation" talk is basically shit.
    i am right on the borderline of gen X/Y, for what it's worth.....

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

I am right on the borderline, too.

I'm about the oldest of the Milennials.

And my take is this: this generation is going to change everything.

Our entire social structure is gunna be wiped out and replaced by a new one over the next 20-40 years.

That's not to say that a lot won't stay the same; the truth always has and always will be that some things change some things stay the same.

But this generation is going to respond to this crisis, which was brought on by the fucking selfish, son-of-a-bitch baby boomers, and completely revolutionize the way we do things.

All the talk about how generation Y acts so entitled, yada yada yada, it's all already starting to fade.

Eventually, it's gunna be crammed down the throats of our elders, as they sit back and realize, "holy fuck! these kids actually pulled it off..."

We don't care about the older generations' stupid culture war; we want to end that war.

We are pragmatists; we are capable of seeing things from multiple perspectives; and, perhaps most importantly, we are PHENOMENAL TEAM PLAYERS.

Together, we're gunna fucking rock this thing!

Tear down this old, decrepit structure that is completely and totally unsustainable, and restructure the whole fucking nation in a way that will last for the rest of the century.

It's already underway; and there ain't no way of stopping it!

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Tear down this old, decrepit structure that is completely and totally unsustainable, and restructure the whole fucking nation in a way that will last for the rest of the century.

It's already underway; and there ain't no way of stopping it!
    I remember that the hippies sad something a lot like that.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I remember that the hippies sad something a lot like that.
    And the hippies accomplished it to some regard.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

And the primary difference is: ours is gunna be based on actual thinking about how to accomplish our goals; not just rolling around on the grass, doing acid, and fucking.