User Tag List

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Default thoughts on the HDI (Human Development Index)

i have been studying islam and middle eastern cultures lately, and i ran across HDI rankings of some countries. i am ambivalent about it.

any thoughts?

wikipedia page on the Human Development Index (includes definitions and rankings)

rankings: dark green high to dark red low; gray is no information

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

doesn't seem to diverge much from wealth-per-capita measurements such as GDP. I guess if the UN wants to make their pretty own labels for the exact same thing, then let them. however, even in psychology, which gets a bad wrap on these matters, if you develop a test or index that pretty much overlaps perfectly onto an older index, it's thrown out for being old news.

/shrug

MBTI
    ENFJ

But there's no explanation for what's up with Niger? If gray is unknown, does black mean superunknown?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

What are you ambivalent about? If you where studying islamic cultures how does it relate to this or how did you move from studying that to studying an index of human development?

The criteria for judgement would be interesting because I dont understand why the UK doesnt score aswell as the ROI, I've lived in each place and I'm not sure I'd concur with that, the UK perhaps has more problems which I'd associate with a unique blend of affluence and stupidity but the ROI bluffs that their conditions are better than they are sometimes and there is a hardened element which will be perpetually impoverished because they're criminal.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    But there's no explanation for what's up with Niger? If gray is unknown, does black mean superunknown?
    lol superunknown. i think it means like ALERT REALLY BAD IF YOU GO HERE YOU WILL DIE

but i will look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    What are you ambivalent about? If you where studying islamic cultures how does it relate to this or how did you move from studying that to studying an index of human development?
    yeah, lol, it was just natural web surfing progression. i am ambivalent about its neutrality. as one critic has said, it would seem to rate how scandinavian a country is. to an average religious believer, important moral criteria would be overlooked - hence the connection with muslim countries. i think this is what i am most curious about: does the HDI anywhere near accurately measure human development?

The criteria for judgement would be interesting because I dont understand why the UK doesnt score aswell as the ROI, I've lived in each place and I'm not sure I'd concur with that, the UK perhaps has more problems which I'd associate with a unique blend of affluence and stupidity but the ROI bluffs that their conditions are better than they are sometimes and there is a hardened element which will be perpetually impoverished because they're criminal.
    yeah, it's interesting. i lived in finland for a while and i would place finland a good bit higher on the index, due to safety, public health, and education quality, while the two countries are ranked exceedingly close.

but then, i also have a problem with the way standard of living is calculated. money alone does not a good life make. environmental factors, which have a huge impact on human wellbeing, also seem to be grossly overlooked.