User Tag List

First 78910 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quit trying to make life easier and more profitable.

Simple.

You're only feeding fat, lazy, rich people.

Not sure but I think America is the most vocal nation to defend the right of those with privilage to shaft everyone else including the persons doing the defending. It's like masochism but on a national scale.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ENFJ

I think we are asking this question based on the assumption that it wasn't already in the crapper in the first place, and in fact has always been in the crapper.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

the artifacts of our civilization are always improving—usually exponentially—with respect to function, material, and energy used to create and use them. The popular conception is that the products of our civilization are stagnant or backsliding.

A great ability to manipulate our environment will allow us to make sure everyone has the physical essentials so that they can focus on what makes them happy. We're not there yet. But a great deal of our increasing productivity is going into that sort of R&D, at least. (We are past the point of allowing people to provide their own essentials the low tech way. It just isn't feasible, so we have to keep trudging through until we make the necessary advances in nanotechnology.)

I also believe people tend to see their lot in life as negative compared to history. It's simply human nature to idealize just a few points of living that were perhaps better in the past while ignoring the many more that were worse. For example, I make minimum wage. I make enough money in about 3 hours of mostly standing around in an air-conditioned building to feed myself for a week. Of those employed, I am the lowest of the low, and yet my working conditions are gravy compared to the 50% of humanity working in the fields 100 years ago. A comparatively slim portion of my meager earnings goes toward my own sustenance. Things have improved greatly, but it takes a lot of objectivity and a healthy dose of humility to see it.

And when I say this, it is without praise or scorn for any economic or political systems. It is also my belief that those two things matter very little compared to the force of ephemeralization which probably works in spite of all of them.
    "If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see."
    Thoreau

Depends. However, there are ways America can improve.

I don't have the sources, but I believe Finland, compared to 29 developed countries, was the top country when it came to graduation rates and education. Compare that to an American education, you get somewhere around 27(?)

When it comes to equipment for classes, the less funded/more rural schools tend to get stuck with less up to date equipment/broken equipment compared to more suburban/richer neighborhoods.
    --------------
    A couple other European countries have high tax rates, but the cost for education(like in college) is relatively low... around 700 US dollars yearly...compare that to a UC around here... and that money is around 48k

In places like Germany (closed society,) you can pretty much live a decent life owning just a small business like a butcher shop.

MBTI
    INFP

We're at the last little piek before the plunge. Look closely for the catalyst in the news which will start this officially off as the greatest depression. All this is almost exactly the same as the events in 1930. A new round of stimulus will most likely not postpone the pain anymore, just prolong it.
    Back then, it was Germany defaulting on it's debt, that was the start signal.

What about this ?

I mean it is obvious that things went terribly wrong and that it can't continue like this forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Takeru View Post
    In places like Germany (closed society,) you can pretty much live a decent life owning just a small business like a butcher shop.
    Germany and France both use a whole battery of state interventions to ensure that small businesses and farming can remain viable for reasons other than economic performance, its a social conservative attempt to sustain a way of life and the principle of subsidiarity which wouldnt get a look in with any anti-state free marketeer in the US.

Its funny because most of the right wing utopians fantasise about this sort of arrangement but they wont support the measures to deliver it, there's a sort of weird idea that if the state is contained it'll just happen as a result, its a little like the whole "whithering away of the state" idea which never materialised in the USSR.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

As a non-American (Australian) it is interesting to see how the rest of the world observes America. I think the USA is a country of extremes in many ways; so many opportunities if you have the means (money) , the influence (power) and the determination (self-esteem and optimism seem to be US personality traits). Unfortunately, this is matched by international ignorance (lack of understanding that the rest of the world does to emulate the USA or take on its values); capitalism running rampant; too much crass popular culture, etc, etc.

It was mentioned on Radio National (an Australian free to air radio program; much like public broadcasting in the US) that America will have to learn to share global economic and cultural domination in the 21st century with the rise of China and India. Does anyone in the US really believe this?

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by clarabelle99 View Post
    It was mentioned on Radio National (an Australian free to air radio program; much like public broadcasting in the US) that America will have to learn to share global economic and cultural domination in the 21st century with the rise of China and India. Does anyone in the US really believe this?
    Economic and cultural domination are two different things, and only tenuously connected. The US has several viable rivals in the world economy now, but no serious contenders in the arena of popular media. Most of the world's films, video games, and television shows are still coming out of the US.

This media domination is partly due to our own national character; it's hard for me to envision that a Chinese media center will ever arise with the chutzpah evident in Hollywood, or even Bollywood. The Hong Kong film industry has done great work, but their output is limited simply because it's such a small scene.

Indian media I think has a better chance, but it'll be an uphill battle for market share to sell Indian media in a world that is profoundly not India.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ILI

Yes, america is going down the tubes.

It doesn't have to, but it is.

Over the last 30 years, multinational corporations have secured the reigns over policy, and so have pulled on them enough to ensure they get all the benefits at everyone else's expense. The rich are getting obscenely rich while the middle class is drying up and the poor are increasingly getting left by the wayside. History is replete with similar scenarios where high GINI indexes have led to bloody revolutions.

Someone mentioned government intervention. Yes, government has a role. Tariffs, incentives, disincentives, referee for the market, etc. This does not necessarily mean the results will be utopian by any stretch of the imagination... but there are past and present examples where it works and works well. Of course, if you put people who don't believe in government into government, I don't know why you should expect good results.

We have the resources, land, and people to take care of ourselves and remain a brilliant and good example to the rest of the world... and in an environmentally responsible and sustainable way, too. It's just too bad we abandoned this with and following Reagan/Thatcher.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]