User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Yeah I have presumed that is actually the case long ago. But since the thread is about US and they seem to have the biggest problems I've put it that way.

On the other hand I am in the mid 20s and my country has changed its currency 3 times since my births. So I am simply trying to understand how people who grew up in a normal place think. Since I obviously have I little bit distorted picture about what term "economy" actually means.
    "In the crapper" is a relative term. In the US we think we're in the crapper when our unemployment is 10%. For other countries 10% unemployment would be a big improvement. Americans just don't want to be worse off in the future than we were in the past. However we already have it so good, that being slightly worse off is still pretty good.

My main concern in the US is with health care. While the US is a leader in many ways, that is one way that we are seriously behind the rest of the world. Even countries that are far less developed than the US will offer health care to everyone. Procedures and operations that used to be fairly basic are now too costly to be afforded by the typical American. For example my sister is a hairdresser that recently had her appendix removed. They charged her $47,000. I'm pretty sure her annual income is less than this amount. I have no idea how she can pay this bill. Also she only went to the hospital, because my other sister forced her too. It's gotten to the point where people would rather risk death than have to face a hospital bill.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Cappie View Post
    we're about where we need to be for the culture to devolve into one of those badass, post-apocalyptic, cyber-punk video games.

how fucking cool would it be to live out deus ex?!
    let it go already!
    Best line in the whole thread.
    Reserved Calm Unstructured Egocentric Inquisitive Clown

Johari Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    "In the crapper" is a relative term. In the US we think we're in the crapper when our unemployment is 10%. For other countries 10% unemployment would be a big improvement. Americans just don't want to be worse off in the future than we were in the past. However we already have it so good, that being slightly worse off is still pretty good.
    Well according to some statistics it is actually around 20%, it depends on what information you include to define "unemployed". I do think America is going down hill very fast and will probably never fully recover from this economic calamity, not only that, but we will have to deal with peak oil soon. Other countries like Greece are FAR WORSE though(with unemployment in some regions of the country around 70%), you are right, americans can have it alot worse than 10% unemployment.

I think we(as in americans) are all going to be China's bitches in the future, yeah, a strange irony. You work for Chow So Hung now!!!!!!!!!!
    Reserved Calm Unstructured Egocentric Inquisitive Clown

Johari Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Robopop View Post
    Well according to some statistics it is actually around 20%, it depends on what information you include to define "unemployed". I do think America is going down hill very fast and will probably never fully recover from this economic calamity, not only that, but we will have to deal with peak oil soon. Other countries like Greece are FAR WORSE though(with unemployment in some regions of the country around 70%), you are right, americans can have it alot worse than 10% unemployment.

I think we(as in americans) are all going to be China's bitches in the future, yeah, a strange irony. You work for Chow So Hung now!!!!!!!!!!
    Going downhill is one thing. All of us being China's bitches is another. That is quite a leap. This is what I mean when I say being slightly worse off is still pretty good.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Going downhill is one thing. All of us being China's bitches is another. That is quite a leap. This is what I mean when I say being slightly worse off is still pretty good.
    When I consider that all our living standards are already at the bottom of the first world, that makes me sad.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    When I consider that all our living standards are already at the bottom of the first world, that makes me sad.
    I'm fairly certain that this is not true. For example I'd like to see the rankings (by percentage) in 1st world countries of people that die of excessive heat. Americans run their AC far more than people in other countries.

MBTI
    INTP

umm...

I think it comes down to whether you want to cooperate in life, or compete in life. The more people cooperate, the further we can go. The more we compete, the more we defeat our progress.

Cooperation makes us all winners.
    Competition merely designates the top competetor.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by quamdel View Post
    umm...

I think it comes down to whether you want to cooperate in life, or compete in life. The more people cooperate, the further we can go. The more we compete, the more we defeat our progress.

Cooperation makes us all winners.
    Competition merely designates the top competetor.
    Interesting premise, and one that I'm weighing in my mind. Are there any valid competing principles that mitigate against this, do you think, or is it an absolute?

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    and we won't be the last.

everyone has always thought the world is going to the crapper, to some extent. history is ebb and flow. i'm not saying we shouldn't work to change things for the better - we should - but down is inevitable. fortunately, so is up. both on micro and macro scales.
    yeah. that's everything i was passively saying with that line.

something else i'd like to address: the arrogance we display when we announce our awareness of our own faults, but never do anything about it.

we like to think that the world is degrading directly because of what we have done.
    it makes us feel potent.

we're not, guys. suck it up and admit it. your failures will be much less dismal when you realize that you were probably never going to succeed in the first place, but you tried anyway.

even if we try, we're probably not going to fix the world. you're right though -- we should try anyway.

but even though you shoud please don't.
    i'm serious about the cyber-punk thing.

i'm not derailing the thread. this thread was derailed from the real spectacle in the very OP. this kind of thinking comes from a fundamentally distracted perspective.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Yes. I'm moving to China.