INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by ItsAGuy View Post
    Yes, america is going down the tubes.

It doesn't have to, but it is.

Over the last 30 years, multinational corporations have secured the reigns over policy, and so have pulled on them enough to ensure they get all the benefits at everyone else's expense. The rich are getting obscenely rich while the middle class is drying up and the poor are increasingly getting left by the wayside. History is replete with similar scenarios where high GINI indexes have led to bloody revolutions.
    And what's worse, is that they have much of the middle class blaming only taxes, and seeming to think most of these taxes are going top thje poor ("social programs").
    Someone mentioned government intervention. Yes, government has a role. Tariffs, incentives, disincentives, referee for the market, etc. This does not necessarily mean the results will be utopian by any stretch of the imagination... but there are past and present examples where it works and works well. Of course, if you put people who don't believe in government into government, I don't know why you should expect good results.

We have the resources, land, and people to take care of ourselves and remain a brilliant and good example to the rest of the world... and in an environmentally responsible and sustainable way, too. It's just too bad we abandoned this with and following Reagan/Thatcher.
    It seems everyone is blaming that those in power now (both parties) believe in government too much, and that it is too big. It's to the point tha I don't know what would really work, now. But a lot of people do need to be made more aware of the problem of the multinational corporations, and if govt control isn't the answer, to then let us all try to think of a better answer.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post

It seems everyone is blaming that those in power now (both parties) believe in government too much, and that it is too big. It's to the point tha I don't know what would really work, now. But a lot of people do need to be made more aware of the problem of the multinational corporations, and if govt control isn't the answer, to then let us all try to think of a better answer.
    I think something that might work is that people stop playing the blame game on people in power and try to do something to make a difference. Even if it's just trying, it's better than pointing fingers the whole time imo.

I'm not sure what or how people could try and do something...hell, my mom might lose her job because she shunned Coca-Cola and how they shouldn't be selling their products at her work (hospital), even letting more and more people be aware of corruption in the business world and ideas of how to regulate it might even make a difference.

You gotta start somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Germany and France both use a whole battery of state interventions to ensure that small businesses and farming can remain viable for reasons other than economic performance, its a social conservative attempt to sustain a way of life and the principle of subsidiarity which wouldnt get a look in with any anti-state free marketeer in the US.

Its funny because most of the right wing utopians fantasise about this sort of arrangement but they wont support the measures to deliver it, there's a sort of weird idea that if the state is contained it'll just happen as a result, its a little like the whole "whithering away of the state" idea which never materialised in the USSR.
    The problem is the U.S. view of capitalism. Anything that isn't a preconceived notion of capitalism is immediately presumed to be evil. Intervention by the federal government is immediately made to look like anti-capitalism. Any form of taxing is made to look like the government is there to hound you and infringe on you.

But when you think of how well these other countries with a presumably higher taxing rate than the U.S. is doing, it makes people wonder why haven't WE done something similar and be on our way to staying on top.

Times are moving, China may end up surpassing us with the most GDP in 10 years, India quite literally doing the same.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

I think India's economic boom has a shelf life. I seriously doubt Indian GDP will actually surpass American GDP anytime soon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by tawanda View Post
    As some people may have noticed, the US isn't doing that great at a number of levels.

Financially, we're in loads of debt. National debt has hit up to 11 trillion dollars, our per capita debt is the highest out of any other developed nation, and according to the Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), we also have the highest disparity of income and one of the most unequal societies out of all the developed nations.

Healthcare is sub-par compared to other developed nations, we are the only developed country that does not have paid childcare following birth, and the insurance companies are corrupt. Pluralism is at a downfall, as it appears that more people seem ignorant about a citizen's right to their freedoms given by the Bill of Rights. But, maybe that's an ignorance thing, or just the fact that you can't please everyone.

I could list loads more of what's wrong, but many of you probably already know.

It could be just a rut, or it could be we're falling behind. Way behind. Maybe we'll be able to pull ourselves out of this mess, but it seems like we won't seeing how several people are just playing the blame game on Obama or something else instead of trying to make things better, but can that even be done if elected politicians are corrupted by wealthy companies who want to keep things the way they are?

I want to hear your opinions. Are we going down the crapper? Are we already in it? Any ideas to save the country from a downward spiral?
    First of all, why does "income disparity" matter one bit? If everybody's surviving, and is able to feed themselves, clothe themselves, and meet all their needs, what's it matter if there are a few billionaires? The poverty line is totally arbitrary and has nothing to do with actual wealth.

And how is healthcare subpar? You get what you need, in a reasonable amount of time. I'd like to hear of a country with socialized medicine where that's the case.

On your next point: you want paid childcare? Demand it from your employer! If they won't grant it, either go somewhere that will, or accept it. You have no right to it. No, not in the Bill of Rights. Not anywhere.

Barack Obama can hardly be blamed for the troubles we do have, that is correct. All the politicians are guilty. We spend like drunken sailors and expect to never have to pay back that debt. That's genuinely insane.

What it really comes down to is, americans don't understand that things cost money. Not on a personal level, not on a governmental level. You want something, you're going to end up paying for it. Eventually, that has to stop. And it would seem that people are only going to learn this lesson the hard way.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Takeru View Post
    The problem is the U.S. view of capitalism. Anything that isn't a preconceived notion of capitalism is immediately presumed to be evil. Intervention by the federal government is immediately made to look like anti-capitalism. Any form of taxing is made to look like the government is there to hound you and infringe on you.

But when you think of how well these other countries with a presumably higher taxing rate than the U.S. is doing, it makes people wonder why haven't WE done something similar and be on our way to staying on top.

Times are moving, China may end up surpassing us with the most GDP in 10 years, India quite literally doing the same.
    I really don't think China's much of a threat. It's unwise for a country to put all their eggs in one basket. The destruction of the american economy will also be the destruction of the chinese economy.

Enough about the yuan already
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window