User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Thread: Overpopulation

MBTI
    ENFJ

Even if overpopulation is a problem, genocide is a terrible way to go about solving the problem. Though, if you really want to save resources, you could just kill off everyone in all the wealthy countries.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Oberon

Population growth being exponential, as you've observed, killing off half the population is a short-term solution at best. All it buys you is one increment worth of time (however long it takes the population to double).

And I really hate to point this out, but killing people so they don't die of starvation is self-defeating.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by durentu View Post
    For people who think that overpopulation is a myth is thinking in linear terms. Population growth is exponential and it only becomes a cataclysmic problem 1 minute before midnight because of the doubling time.
    It's not exponential.

But it is true that the problem will take its toll rather abruptly.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTJ

Then find a better solution dealing with the problem (in a short time, water supplies are running out, and the processes to extract it would take tons of money and irreversible damage to our ecosystem)
    "Please don't have children, overpopulation is the real fuss of this world"-Composed by me...
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/20/205551.png

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

IIRC, genocide is a way to accelerate population growth because the victim race will have more babies than everyone else in an act to preserve the race and it will create new tyrants and stronger methods of protecting this new mass population in the next generation. There are blow backs to genocide.
    "People often say that this or that person has not yet found himself. But the self is not something one finds; it is something one creates." - Thomas Szasz

Oberon

A better solution to deal with the problem? China got a hold of their population issue with the one-child policy. It was a top-down solution and not one that I favor, but it was simple enough, and it worked.

As far as treating water goes, there's always this.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTJ

Probably true, that's why my other option is manipulating the hydrotestosterone... Involved in both hair loss and sperm production... Have some individuals injected with something to stop the sperm from being produced, and, voilà! Or suggest something better...
    "Please don't have children, overpopulation is the real fuss of this world"-Composed by me...
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/20/205551.png

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Sesshoumaru View Post
    Then find a better solution dealing with the problem (in a short time, water supplies are running out, and the processes to extract it would take tons of money and irreversible damage to our ecosystem)
    If we could get cracking on that alternative, renewable energy source thing, we'd solve the majority of the problem.

Fears of devastating a necessary resource supply really goes down after that. Then what we can do is start bringing the less developed countries into levels of advancement that cause a decline in population growth without causing them to be egregious consumers like we currently are. And speaking of which, are our impact wouldn't be so bad anymore either.

In the mean time, it could only help for consumption rates to go down. Such a change would have to be both cultural and legal, and I'm not optimistic that it will happen.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    A better solution to deal with the problem? China got a hold of their population issue with the one-child policy. It was a top-down solution and not one that I favor, but it was simple enough, and it worked.

As far as treating water goes, there's always this.
    yes it worked for china, but I think overpopulation is a global issue. There were chinese birth booms out side of china and refugees during that time. If you think McDonalds is everywhere, then just try counting all the chinese take out joints in the world.
    "People often say that this or that person has not yet found himself. But the self is not something one finds; it is something one creates." - Thomas Szasz

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

It's pretty simple, in theory.
    -Don't help feed the starving people
    -Get rid of Catholicism
    - Increase arms dealing
    - Legalize more drugs

Doing them would be difficult, but hey, if the population goes out of whack, most people will die and we'll start all over with the few survivors.