First 678910 Last

Thread: Overpopulation

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Overpopulation (or rather, inefficient use of resources) sorts itself out. It's called war (or any conflict really).
    I wish.

But the only things that really make over-population a concern are things that happen after thresholds and are not particularly reversible.

In terms of pre-empting it, war and disease has had ridiculously little impact on our population growth. Even catastrophes like the bubonic plague were just flickers.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Sesshoumaru View Post
    Night, your articles lack proper backup, and the piece3 has a comment supporting my view, in case you didn't notice... As for the Texas argument... That's nonsense... They don't even have that space in China, so they're "building up", creating innovative buildings.
    Ragashree, you are providing good data, awesome article, but it's missing 1 thing: actual population growth numbers from today, and seems to be missing in this new model as well, everything else seems fine.
    Edgar, you get a +1, it's true. They don't give a shit about the problem, 1 out of 5 people are chinese, so imagine them not caring even more... And too many... They're a problem right now...
    Oberon, my objective is to avoid human destroying himself for lack of thought in the population growth.

Here's the part where I leave you to your pet theory. You've been debunked. By sources outside of our little discussion. Yet, you still cling to the veracity of your thinking. Read Michael Shermer's Why People Believe Weird Things if you want to cure yourself of this particular intellectual malady. No skin off my nose if you don't. Just friendly advice.

You've got nothing. It's clear. I don't have any more time to waste excoriating stupid thinking.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTJ

Geez, what's with all that aggression? First of all, I don't believe, I show. Second, I decide what to externalize and when, so don't begin telling me I've got nothing, because I didn't tell you that... Third, I never considered your thinking excoriating... So you may very well try to not let these feelings (or whatever you call this) into discussion... I want constructive criticism here, not just things like that... You may very well not agree with my view, but there's no reason to call it excoriating. Instead try something like: I don't agree with you because X. I suggest you try Y (but applied to a better solution to the problem, so avoid those unecessary conflictive words, please.
    "Please don't have children, overpopulation is the real fuss of this world"-Composed by me...
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/20/205551.png

MBTI
    INTP

Telling people the world faces overpopulation may in fact be a clever method of increasing one's own fitness. If one could convince a large enough number of humans to limit, if not temporarily cease, reproduction, he or she could rapidly make use of an increased pool of resources with which to utilize for "selfish" purposes. However, this is made with the assumption that a decrease in relative population growth will not hinder the proliferation of the "cheater" organism. I can't subscribe to this, simply because a SINGLE laborer can CREATE circumstances that facilitate a huge increase in the carrying capacity of a given region. We require only the go ahead to do so.

Oberon

Oberon, my objective is to avoid human destroying himself for lack of thought in the population growth.
    All right... but you seem to have proposed that we should kill off around half the human race in pursuit of this goal. Is that not akin to the old Vietnam-era chestnut about "destroying the village in order to save it"?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

You may very well not agree with my view, but there's no reason to call it excoriating.
    excoriate [ɪkˈskɔːrɪˌeɪt]
    vb (tr)
    1. to strip (the skin) from (a person or animal); flay
    2. (Medicine) Med to lose (a superficial area of skin), as by scratching, the application of chemicals, etc.
    3. to denounce vehemently; censure severely
    [from Late Latin excoriāre to strip, flay, from Latin corium skin, hide]
    excoriation n

Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

To your specific question, I am not offering aggression. I get zealous with my reasoning. If it came across that I was being aggressive, I regret the misunderstanding.

Your idea is bogus insofar as you offer genocide as a viable remedy to overpopulation. My enthusiasm in offering a rebuttal is simultaneously to display the errancy of your analysis and to stimulate alternative thinking, should you to ever be in a position to implement.

The real issue isn't overpopulation. It is distribution of available resources, and how to maximize distribution without discrimination - be it social, racial or economic. Overpopulation is a byproduct of inequality. Kind of like how the "War on Drugs" is really a class conflict.

Making more sense?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I must say Night, the 3rd piece is the only one that seemed to impress me in any way.

The first one is almost comical in a Stephen Colbert way, but I'm not surprised, since it is from a conservative think tank.

and non-renewable resources become more plentiful each year as new sources are found.

The second piece has a questionable Christian over-tone, and most of its points, as far as I am concerned, miss the main point of population growth concerns.

The third one actually gets to something relevant. It points out that the problem is consumption, and from there, makes the compelling argument against population growth concerns. But it does not manage to completely separate the two factors, in spite of looking like it's tryng to. Even the points made there leave some disturbing considerations on the table.

The fourth one mostly re-iterates points in the previous three.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I must say Night, the 3rd piece is the only one that seemed to impress me in any way.

The first one is almost comical in a Stephen Colbert way, but I'm not surprised, since it is from a conservative think tank.

The second piece has a questionable Christian over-tone, and most of its points, as far as I am concerned, miss the main point of population growth concerns.

The third one actually gets to something relevant. It points out that the problem is consumption, and from there, makes the compelling argument against population growth concerns. But it does not manage to completely separate the two factors, in spite of looking like it's tryng to. Even the points made there leave some disturbing considerations on the table.

The fourth one mostly re-iterates points in the previous three.
    Neat.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

For people who think that overpopulation is a myth is thinking in linear terms. Population growth is exponential and it only becomes a cataclysmic problem 1 minute before midnight because of the doubling time.

If 20 billion people is the catastrophe, then you will only signs of the problem at 10 billion, which is only one unit of time before it doubles. Then past zero hour, it becomes 40 billion. This is the exponential function. If you talk to the old timers at the census agency, they will tell you that the population has tripled in their lifetime, and they haven't retired yet.

As for a solution, there is a very simple and elegant solution to overpopulation that is being done in India. Put the young girls in school.

By default, the girls are too busy with education that they will have children at age 25-30 rather than at age 14-18. At these age differences, the family size is basically cut in half. This is the best solution to population control that will work and has proven to work. Any campaign that places incentives on population control or to control population control directly has been disastrous in the past. It just doesn't work.

Put the girls in schools. This is modern natural population control, without control.

EDIT:
    Population Growth - Overview of Population Growth Rates

Link about doubling times with respect to population.

Google - public data

According to this, the world will have 14 billion people on it in 60 years (if the rate holds)
    "People often say that this or that person has not yet found himself. But the self is not something one finds; it is something one creates." - Thomas Szasz

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTJ

Finally, someone who actually sees things as they are! If you can suggest even better solutions than the "genocide" or whatever you call it, so be it! Obviously, you're not linear either! Accurate data, I must say. Just the numbers that we should be finding.

Flawless! Now let's do the job of the awareness...
    Last edited by Sesshoumaru; 08-22-2010 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Extra detail, support
    "Please don't have children, overpopulation is the real fuss of this world"-Composed by me...
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/20/205551.png