User Tag List

First 5678917 Last

Thread: Overpopulation

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Sesshoumaru View Post
    And yet no one is providing backup for what they say... I stated in my first post that you could help by trying to find data. That would actually prove who is right or wrong here... And if you tell me this is a myth, the you just wait until it is too late, and we end up paying the price for our out of time actions... If that is what you want.
    Maximum estimates for the potential carrying capacity of the Earth, based on currently existing or reasonably forseeable technologies and fully sustainable ecosystems, while allowing for a full range of recognised human needs and the setting aside of significant areas as environmental preserves and recreational zones, range as high as around 1 000 000 000 000 individuals. That's right, one trillion people. We're a long way off that at present.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Kill a chunk of our collective to preserve a viable environment for the remainder? Please.
    Exactly. Let's see, black plague killed off about 1/3rd of Europe. Probably not all of those deaths were directly caused by the black plague -- some of them must have been from exposure to all the rotting corpses. Because, let's face it, corpses are vectors for disease. This happens in areas with huge natural disasters with a lot of dead, after a few days the corpses rot and kill even more people. If you decided to kill off half of the population, you might just accidentally kill off all of it. Whoopsie!
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTJ

Default Reqsonable and open minded

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    Maximum estimates for the potential carrying capacity of the Earth, based on currently existing or reasonably forseeable technologies and fully sustainable ecosystems, while allowing for a full range of recognised human needs and the setting aside of significant areas as environmental preserves and recreational zones, range as high as around 1 000 000 000 000 individuals. That's right, one trillion people. We're a long way off that at present.
    This is the only I'll reply because it sounds reasonable... The others just seem to not understand and give no real backup, instead of answering what's in front of them have to require to alternate sentences that back up the view that is part unreasonable of a collective society... But that's not the issue here...

As for you with the estimate, from where did you pull that off? What's the source? Like I stated before... This requires research, so that's why I came here, to make use of the sources of experienced people, as long as they remain reasonable...
    "Please don't have children, overpopulation is the real fuss of this world"-Composed by me...
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/20/205551.png

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTJ

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Think of it this way: Russia's population if it goes on its current course will be half of what it is now in 40 years. This is true for many European countries, though perhaps not to this extent. The problem is not "overpopulation" but rather migration fluidity -- people from overpopulated areas are not able to move to less populated areas, either because of borders, laws, or simply because they don't want to.

I'm confused about your purpose of population controls, too. At the moment, it just seems like you want less people for the sake of having less people.
    Finally talking reasonable... But it may imply that the population is in a cycle, so young people may actually "boom"...
    "Please don't have children, overpopulation is the real fuss of this world"-Composed by me...

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Well, here's an article examining, in detail, the actual logistics of population growth and the factors that influence attempts at predicting future trends, as well as the powerful influence of natural self-regulation on human population demographics. It should hopefully destroy a lot of popular fallacies about this issue; which mostly as far as I can see stem from ideology and the missaplication of statistical principles. Human Population Dynamics Revisited With the Logistic Model - Marchetti, Meyer, Ausubel
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Sesshoumaru View Post
    This is the only I'll reply because it sounds reasonable... The others just seem to not understand and give no real backup, instead of answering what's in front of them have to require to alternate sentences that back up the view that is part unreasonable of a collective society... But that's not the issue here...
    No - you aren't encountering legitimate responses because your idea is nonsense. Killing large groups of people as a means to cultivate lifestyle for others? Seriously?

It isn't that people can't conceptualize or appreciate the dynamics of your little pet theory - it's just so plainly stupid that criticism is redundant. Where's your support system for your thinking? What socioeconomic models have you consulted to get to where you're at? Back up your reasoning, dude, or it's just going to get flayed.

To play along with your appeal, here's some data that further supports the contrary position:

Piece 1
    Piece 2
    Piece 3
    Piece 4

Oberon

I still don't know what end you're attempting to serve through population control, Sess. Please fill me in on that if you would.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Exactly. China doesn't have an overpopulation problem, they have a "Chinese people don't have the resources or are unwilling to live on really high mountains" problem.
    China has a "don't give a shit about the environment" problem. There is practically no safe sources of fresh water in China - their rivers range from neon green to dark purple, and walking around Beijing is the equivalent of smoking 2+ packs of cigarettes a day.

At that rate it won't be long until their entire population mutates into a different kind of species, resulting in some kind of a horrible "Resistance: Fall of Man" scenario.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INTJ

Overpopulation (or rather, inefficient use of resources) sorts itself out. It's called war (or any conflict really).
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTJ

Night, your articles lack proper backup, and the piece3 has a comment supporting my view, in case you didn't notice... As for the Texas argument... That's nonsense... They don't even have that space in China, so they're "building up", creating innovative buildings.
    Ragashree, you are providing good data, awesome article, but it's missing 1 thing: actual population growth numbers from today, and seems to be missing in this new model as well, everything else seems fine.
    Edgar, you get a +1, it's true. They don't give a shit about the problem, 1 out of 5 people are chinese, so imagine them not caring even more... And too many... They're a problem right now...
    Oberon, my objective is to avoid human destroying himself for lack of thought in the population growth.