First 4567816 Last

Thread: Overpopulation

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTJ

There's a proble with your post, though... Where you state that you'll wait to every square km to be full, it'll be too late... And what's more, if you begin populating more areas, it involves the destruction of the habitats for millions of species that we might depend on to survive, so it's not a fallacy that this is a major issue that lots of people fail to see...
    "Please don't have children, overpopulation is the real fuss of this world"-Composed by me...
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/20/205551.png

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Yeah but we won't ever get that full though, it's impossible. hurricanes, earthquakes, wildfires, tsunamis, animal flus, superAIDS and god-knows-what will hedge off sizable proportions of our population from now until kingdom come. We don't need to do anything drastic as you are suggesting.

and by the way, have you been out to Wyoming lately? Seriously, for all here on this forum that think overpopulation is a problem, I challenge you to take a trip out to Wyoming someday. Head out from Cheyenne airport, take a bus to the city limit there and just start walking in a random fucking direction, and stay traveling in that direction for a couple days. Take notes on what you see and then realize there's places like Wyoming all over the world. Then come back and tell me if you think we're anywhere NEAR our population capacity.

What you're REALLY worrying about, I think, is concern for the inevitable inconvenience caused by other nearby humans. And let's be frank here, there's no worse animal to have living near you than other human beings. But my INTP Friend, you're going to get that inconvenience whether you're in a rag tag barbarian tribe in 1000BC or living in the suburbs 2250AD.

MBTI
    INTP

Overpopulation is a myth.

Overpopulation is one of the reasons why I don't want to have kids. We are doomed.... Sorry I'm in a dark mood.
    Fe | Ni | Se | Ti ... 3w4 ... Lawful Neutral ... Johari -Nohari

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I actually feel sorry for the mod who has to go all the way back into this thread to find where it went off the tracks.
    I was thinking the same.

In fact, why not just change the title of the thread, it's probably easier and I think it's clear that people don't really wanna talk about what a world without Fi would be like. I'd personally rather not have this thread, than have it turn out....well, into a garbage bin as it did.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    and by the way, have you been out to Wyoming lately? Seriously, for all here on this forum that think overpopulation is a problem, I challenge you to take a trip out to Wyoming someday. Head out from Cheyenne airport, take a bus to the city limit there and just start walking in a random fucking direction, and stay traveling in that direction for a couple days. Take notes on what you see and then realize there's places like Wyoming all over the world. Then come back and tell me if you think we're anywhere NEAR our population capacity.
    Exactly. China doesn't have an overpopulation problem, they have a "Chinese people don't have the resources or are unwilling to live on really high mountains" problem. But humans are a very resourceful bunch. They will either figure out the mountain problem or die trying.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTJ

And yet no one is providing backup for what they say... I stated in my first post that you could help by trying to find data. That would actually prove who is right or wrong here... And if you tell me this is a myth, the you just wait until it is too late, and we end up paying the price for our out of time actions... If that is what you want.
    "Please don't have children, overpopulation is the real fuss of this world"-Composed by me...
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/20/205551.png

Oberon

Question: What is the ultimate goal of your notion of population control? Are you trying to improve quality-of-life for humans?

MBTI
    ENFJ

Think of it this way: Russia's population if it goes on its current course will be half of what it is now in 40 years. This is true for many European countries, though perhaps not to this extent. The problem is not "overpopulation" but rather migration fluidity -- people from overpopulated areas are not able to move to less populated areas, either because of borders, laws, or simply because they don't want to.

I'm confused about your purpose of population controls, too. At the moment, it just seems like you want less people for the sake of having less people.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Sesshoumaru View Post
    And yet no one is providing backup for what they say... I stated in my first post that you could help by trying to find data. That would actually prove who is right or wrong here... And if you tell me this is a myth, the you just wait until it is too late, and we end up paying the price for our out of time actions... If that is what you want.
    Pot meet kettle. You're providing the essence of what constitutes slippery slope reasoning fallacy - you offer a chunk of "data" and extrapolate it to its worst conclusion, without illustrating any empirical pathway to justify your thinking.

To your criticism, I'm not even convinced you've done your homework on the matter; why should we provide evidence?

Quote Originally Posted by Sesshoumaru View Post
    Then, randomly kill a certain part of the population, let it be 1/2 or 2/3, as long as there is a remaining part of it surviving... To make use of the proper quantities of the available resources. I think a
    Kill a chunk of our collective to preserve a viable environment for the remainder? Please.

You sound very young.