First 61415161718 Last

Thread: Overpopulation

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTJ

Ok, now I get your point... Then we should do both! Or a prevention campaign, or another totalitarian regime... And something to hide the "vaccine" to stop sperm production... In a way to treat hair loss (and that actually works!)
    "Please don't have children, overpopulation is the real fuss of this world"-Composed by me...
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/20/205551.png

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Sesshoumaru View Post
    Well, first world countries want to control others by going and sending military to other places... Eventually getting there and begin reproducng there... Which proves the point that they are just expansionists... Thus creating more humans... This is also a possibility, so first world countries aren't out of this either! It doesn't really matter where you live, first world countries caused a lot of trouble around the world in the past, and are still causing trouble... Therefore, overpopulation is not a myth, and it's far out of discussion now... The focus here is to solve it. But still think that we need a good solution, and solution #1 could work, using hydrotestosterone manipulation and further research...
    If this is a problem, then problem is with military action rather than population. Overpopulation itself is really not an issue of concern.

The size of the population does not really cause problems other than some third world countries might have difficulty feeding all of their citizens. Some people think that other issues like the state of the global environment has to do with population. However that really has more to do with energy consumption in industrialized countries.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTP

You say we're using 86% of the world's resources. I say this is arbitrary. That number means nothing except that other populations have failed to innovate new ways to use the resources at their fingertips. The total amount of energy being used is still going to increase both steadily and chaotically, but it will NEVER decrease. You have no idea how much potential energy there is on this planet, or that only a tiny fraction is being used. You don't DECREASE consumption, you find new ways to sustain and expand it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTJ

This was to prove a point... Armies ultimately aren't a real problem... The problem is the intention of further overpopulation...
    "Please don't have children, overpopulation is the real fuss of this world"-Composed by me...
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/20/205551.png

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

This was to prove a point... Armies ultimately aren't a real problem... The problem is the intention of further overpopulation...
    I think the two of us have a wildly different view of what constitutes a "problem". For example I don't see the existence of people as a problem itself, while I do see large armies as a problem for a variety of reasons (cost, war, oppression, etc....)

If overpopulation is actually a problem then you'd have to describe what problems it actually causes other than the existence of people. If overpopulation leads to war then you have to explain why. If Imperialism is leading to war then the problem is not overpopulation. If lack of resources is leading to war then the problem is not overpopulation. Why is overpopulation a problem?
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I think the two of us have a wildly different view of what constitutes a "problem". For example I don't see the existence of people as a problem itself, while I do see large armies as a problem for a variety of reasons (cost, war, oppression, etc....)

If overpopulation is actually a problem then you'd have to describe what problems it actually causes other than the existence of people. If overpopulation leads to war then you have to explain why. If Imperialism is leading to war then the problem is not overpopulation. If lack of resources is leading to war then the problem is not overpopulation. Why is overpopulation a problem?
    I'm still waiting for this too. I was perhaps a bit lazier than you about typing it out in detail though, due to it being this thread.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

... Which proves the point that they are just expansionists... Thus creating more humans... This is also a possibility, so first world countries aren't out of this either! It doesn't really matter where you live, first world countries caused a lot of trouble around the world in the past, and are still causing trouble... Therefore, overpopulation is not a myth, and it's far out of discussion now... The focus here is to solve it. But still think that we need a good solution, and solution #1 could work, using hydrotestosterone manipulation and further research...
    Replace the word 'humans' with 'rabbits'.

Any species that loses it's natural predators expands, until the population dies off from starvation or disease, back to a reasonable level.

Humans are the top predator on this planet. We have nowhere to go but off. We can't do that at the moment. So we need to learn conservation of resources, and we also need to learn to make the best use of the resources we have.

We are working on it. But since we aren't that far removed from, "Sun burns! Must be God!", it's going to take some time.

All the doom and gloom bullshit, and the stupid pronouncements that humans should be wiped off the planet, are just going to get people pissed, and might even result in your premature removal from it.

We are fucking up the planet, so we need to do what we can to fix it. And some of us are trying.

Not sitting on an internet forum and proclaiming 'Humans suck! we are destroying everything. We should all die!!'

Get off your ass, go to school, and make a career out of fixing the problems.

If worst came to worst, the planet has survived at least a couple of asteroid/comet impacts that wiped out most of the life. And several ice ages that covered the majority of the globe. To it, we are like the organisms that live on our own skin. innocuous for the most part, with an occasional flare up that can be managed by the proper antibiotics. Nothing we do, short of blowing up the planet, will have long term consequences for the Earth. It's got millions of years to heal.

:rolli:

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle99 View Post
    Also consider that many times, those who advocate for population control are pro-life conservatives.
    This is not consistent with my experience at all. I have seen many more people argue for population control from an environmental leftist perspective than from a conservative point of view, personally. I'm a white, professional, homeschooling Christian with four kids, and I have a lot of friends in similar circumstances.

THE FUTURE BELONGS TO THE BREEDERS!

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    This is not consistent with my experience at all. I have seen many more people argue for population control from an environmental leftist perspective than from a conservative point of view, personally. I'm a white, professional, homeschooling Christian with four kids, and I have a lot of friends in similar circumstances.

This is true. Conservatives, in my very limited experience, tend to hate the very notion of population control (even condoms & sex ed!).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post

I agree with you that a lot of talk about overpopulation does indeed stem from leftist environmentalism. That's why I said "many times," not "always" or even "usually." While I still think population control is the wrong way to go about addressing the environmental issues, at least leftists advocate for birth control, legal abortions, and sex education for people in the developed world AS WELL as those in the developing world. If their approach is flawed, at least it is consistent.

However, there are many pro-life conservatives who talk about population control specifically IN THE DEVELOPING WORLD, while simultaneously opposing abortion birth control (including sex education and condoms, as beargryllz pointed out) in their own country.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/