First 51314151617 Last

Thread: Overpopulation

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTJ

Well, whatever, I think we're making more of an understanding here!
    "Please don't have children, overpopulation is the real fuss of this world"-Composed by me...
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/20/205551.png

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Sesshoumaru View Post
    Well, thanks a lot for the comment! That's true, but the question is... Will it be enough?
    For?
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTJ

To solve this problem once and for all?
    "Please don't have children, overpopulation is the real fuss of this world"-Composed by me...

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

To solve this problem once and for all?
    Which was?
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

nothing will be enough... no matter what... the only question is "will it be better"?

even with no humans at all, the plant and animal balances are thrown off and there are plenty of pollutants EVERYWHERE that will take millions of years to disperse... there's extinct species, there's drained aquifers, there's salinated areas and desertified areas and heavy metals and radioactive wastes in places where they shouldn't be... whether you kill off a large number of people or not, it's still fucked... education is the only solution... even fewer people means that you'll be lacking a lot of people who understand cleaner technology and would understand the development of more clean technology... and therefore people would probably pollute MORE

killing people won't help anything... it'll only hurt things
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

What a garbage thread. The OP is based on premises that cannot be proven, yet, and it goes down hill from there.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Overpopulation is a myth.
    Yes.

And think about this:

The (mainly white) population of developed nations is generally steady at replacement levels. That means that when proponents of population control say that "human" population growth needs to be slowed, it is really the population of the (mainly nonwhite) Global South on which the burden of population control falls. Also consider that many times, those who advocate for population control are pro-life conservatives. So, they are in favor of limiting the reproductive rights of women in the "Third World," and want to limit the a woman in the "developed" world's option of getting an abortion if she so chooses. This suggests that such people are primarily concerned with life that looks like them. Finally, environmentalists would do well to remember that “First World” countries consume 86% of the Earth’s resources, despite their stable population level and focus on reducing our rate of consumption.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    nothing will be enough... no matter what... the only question is "will it be better"?

even with no humans at all, the plant and animal balances are thrown off and there are plenty of pollutants EVERYWHERE that will take millions of years to disperse... there's extinct species, there's drained aquifers, there's salinated areas and desertified areas and heavy metals and radioactive wastes in places where they shouldn't be... whether you kill off a large number of people or not, it's still fucked... education is the only solution... even fewer people means that you'll be lacking a lot of people who understand cleaner technology and would understand the development of more clean technology... and therefore people would probably pollute MORE

killing people won't help anything... it'll only hurt things
    Humans are actually relatively terrible at ruining the planet

See

Snowball Earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Great Oxygenation Event - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How's that for some nuclear winter? Earth and the creatures in it destroy the planet much better than we do.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTJ

Well, first world countries want to control others by going and sending military to other places... Eventually getting there and begin reproducng there... Which proves the point that they are just expansionists... Thus creating more humans... This is also a possibility, so first world countries aren't out of this either! It doesn't really matter where you live, first world countries caused a lot of trouble around the world in the past, and are still causing trouble... Therefore, overpopulation is not a myth, and it's far out of discussion now... The focus here is to solve it. But still think that we need a good solution, and solution #1 could work, using hydrotestosterone manipulation and further research...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Well, first world countries want to control others by going and sending military to other places... Eventually getting there and begin reproducng there... Which proves the point that they are just expansionists... Thus creating more humans... This is also a possibility, so first world countries aren't out of this either! It doesn't really matter where you live, first world countries caused a lot of trouble around the world in the past, and are still causing trouble... Therefore, overpopulation is not a myth, and it's far out of discussion now... The focus here is to solve it. But still think that we need a good solution, and solution #1 could work, using hydrotestosterone manipulation and further research...
    Actually, you're kind of missing my point. I am saying the "First World" is mostly to blame for the over-taxation of the Earth's resources. We use 86% of the world's resources, but our population is stable at replacement levels. So rather than trying to stop women in India and Mexico from having so many damn kids (or killing off 1/3 of the population!) let's reign in our consumption instead.

Also let's not forget that although yes, humans do damage the environment, we are part of the ecosystem as well.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/