User Tag List

First 41213141516 Last

Thread: Overpopulation

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

you always have to offer something to get something...

I was reading an article a while back about how soap operas are reducing the birth rate among the soap opera watching class in Brazil and India because the women wish to emulate the glamorous women they see onscreen... obviously there's easier solutions than anthropocide if something as dumb as soap operas can have an effect
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by chelsea View Post
    Here's the solution Sessh, feel free not to reproduce and stop using resources. Start slow, since being on the computer is using resources I'd cut that out first. Start the revolution
    I'm on it! I plan not to reproduce! But I'll need something else to spread the word, and voilà! The Internet is here to help!
    "Please don't have children, overpopulation is the real fuss of this world"-Composed by me...
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/20/205551.png

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTJ

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    you always have to offer something to get something...

I was reading an article a while back about how soap operas are reducing the birth rate among the soap opera watching class in Brazil and India because the women wish to emulate the glamorous women they see onscreen... obviously there's easier solutions than anthropocide if something as dumb as soap operas can have an effect
    That's why I am here, to get a solution, any ideas better than what you call "anthropocide" that actually work, then I'm all out for it!
    "Please don't have children, overpopulation is the real fuss of this world"-Composed by me...

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

considering that humans are like hydra heads... you cut one down and several spring up in that person's place (as was previously mentioned) that idea would be ineffective for that matter alone, not to mention all of the also mentioned down sides to exterminating people...

why not go out and promote efficient usage of resources and reducing, reusing, recycling and rethinking to people instead of going around and dissing people here? or perhaps donate money and time to planned parenthood international? you're not going to change anyone's minds here, so you're wasting your time on this site
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Sesshoumaru View Post
    That's why I am here, to get a solution, any ideas better than what you call "anthropocide" that actually work, then I'm all out for it!
    Advertise yourself as your argument for natural contraception?
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    Advertise yourself as your argument for natural contraception?
    Hell I will LOL

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    considering that humans are like hydra heads... you cut one down and several spring up in that person's place (as was previously mentioned) that idea would be ineffective for that matter alone, not to mention all of the also mentioned down sides to exterminating people...

why not go out and promote efficient usage of resources and reducing, reusing, recycling and rethinking to people instead of going around and dissing people here? or perhaps donate money and time to planned parenthood international? you're not going to change anyone's minds here, so you're wasting your time on this site
    You're probably right! But I will make some understand one way or another, these ideas need proper treatment, and I'll stick to them until proven wrong... If that happens, then I'll stand corrected. I also came here to learn, you know? And to listen to other solutions that are possible as well!

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

it's not like the Duggar family posts here or anything... most members have no children or very few and nobody here is proposing starting a crazy huge family by any means If you REALLY want to make an impact go on a religious board and explain how they are supposed to be stewards of the earth, not it's destroyers... arguing here that we're fucking over the earth by having too many people is barking up an ineffective tree.

I would NEVER advocate killing people... especially when there are a multitude of solutions available out there for those who are knowlegable enough about motivational psychology and contraception and such... why? because nobody is good enough, smart enough and flawless enough to advocate the death of other humans (though don't mistake me for pro-life... I have different definitions of human)

Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

Quote Originally Posted by Sesshoumaru View Post
    I'll be honest I didn't read the WHOLE thread and only read bits of the beginning. Practical insights into mass killing aside, I think you're right that overpopulation is a problem, but the problem is at the very least, partially being taken care of by things that are happening already. Here's what I'm seeing:

1. A surge in the number and devastation of natural disasters in the past 10 years or so, killing a shit-ton of people. Earthquake in Haiti, Indian Ocean Tsunami, Hurricanes, etc. Genocide and biochemical diseases aside, when it comes to killing people, it's tough to beat natural disasters. Except maybe nuclear weapons.

2. Increasing awareness and acceptance in homosexuality. The past twenty years has seen a strengthening in the LBGT community and so, my (very loose) reasoning is that because there is a more accepting environment, people are less likely to suppress their sexual identity and marry and have children. And also, being homosexual means you're less likely to have children, with the exception being adoption, which is irrelevant because we're talking about overpopulation.

3. Increased divorced rate, broken homes, broken families - I can't imagine growing up in this environment would make people want to have children of their own, though of course there are exceptions. And so, generally speaking, I think they'd be inclined not to. This is my most speculative point, but feel free to tear it apart.

Anyway, I'm not arguing against a pro-active approach, but I just wanted to point out that nature is also helping things.

Feel free to rationally dissect. Just speaking off-the-cuff here. Forgive my INFPness.

Also, for the record, I love the NTs here. They stir shit up. And I like it when my shit is stirred.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTJ

Well, thanks a lot for the comment! That's true, but the question is... Will it be enough?