User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

Thread: Overpopulation

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    How about neither?
    I like that one too, but right now we're trying to talk down a genocidal maniac, so let's focus on that.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    For this reason. It's far preferable than killing off entire populations pre-emptively, so that bad things don't happen to the rest of us.
    This is an interesting conversation because it shows a clear delineation between conservatism and progressivism. That is that progressives are so interested in improving society and moving it forward that they are willing to kill massive amounts of people to achieve that purpose. Whereas the conservative is willing to accept the natural outcomes of population growth and is in no way afraid of technology turning backwards.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Oberon

There's always the "Soylent Green" solution... in that scenario, the excess population becomes a resource.

I wouldn't advocate that, but an absurdly intellect-oriented INTP might.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    And if a case could be made for pre-emptive killing, I suppose one would say that it's better to lose people and keep the technology than to lose both. However, I do wonder if our ability to maintain such technology would survive such a massive drop in population.
    THIS.

THANK YOU.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I would not put a person who wants to commit genocide into the "progressive" category.

BTW I moved the posts from that Fi thread over here; if I get real ambitious later I'll move the ones that are off-topic in both threads out of here.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I would not put a person who wants to commit genocide into the "progressive" category.
    It all depends on the ideology.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTJ

I'm not a genocidal maniac, I just see the problem here, and want answers and solutions done here... because that's what really makes a mess in the world of the humans: its own outnumbered population... It's not about talking down... It's not about keeping the technology and lose people either... it's about solving this problem, THAT SHOULD BE OF EVERYONE'S CONCERN!
    "Please don't have children, overpopulation is the real fuss of this world"-Composed by me...
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/20/205551.png

Quote Originally Posted by Sesshoumaru View Post
    I'm not a genocidal maniac, I just see the problem here, and want answers and solutions done here... because that's what really makes a mess in the world of the humans: its own outnumbered population... It's not about talking down... It's not about keeping the technology and lose people either... it's about solving this problem, THAT SHOULD BE OF EVERYONE'S CONCERN!
    Exactly. All you want is a Final Solution.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    Exactly. All you want is a Final Solution.
    Yeah... If I were a genocidal maniac, then, even without a problem, if we were living in a city that is utopical, I would be talking the same... but I wouldn't... I wouldn't do anything like this if there is not a problem, but this is a problem... so we need a FINAL SOLUTION (In your word, Beefeater...)
    "Please don't have children, overpopulation is the real fuss of this world"-Composed by me...
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/20/205551.png

MBTI
    INTP

I've always been a fan of treating the symptoms. Overpopulation means what? People starving? Not enough clean water? Not enough housing?

Each of these (and many others) are easily addressed with a minimal allocation or re-allocation of available resources, not to mention vast swaths of undiscovered resources. These undiscovered resources will become present as the need for them increases. Being a terrestrial superorganism, the human animal will seek redemption not in their lands, but in the oceans capable of sustaining some tens of billions (with the proper administration).

I don't think overpopulation itself can be bested or overcome in any reasonable or ideologically sound manner. To me, combating overpopulation is as futile as fighting a war on terror or drug use. We should instead make the proper accommodations and abandon genocidal tendencies.