First 89101112 Last

Thread: Overpopulation

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTJ

And not only chinese, but all other countries... We should probably bring all countries to education and to one child policy to diminish the growth.
    "Please don't have children, overpopulation is the real fuss of this world"-Composed by me...
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/20/205551.png

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTJ

Completely right... Flawless logic as well, Tawanda! LOL! Those measures always work, because you're attacking the problem with something that's called vices, many don't escape them!
    "Please don't have children, overpopulation is the real fuss of this world"-Composed by me...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Sesshoumaru View Post
    Probably true, that's why my other option is manipulating the hydrotestosterone... Involved in both hair loss and sperm production... Have some individuals injected with something to stop the sperm from being produced, and, voilà! Or suggest something better...
    This sort of thing won't work. This is a fancy version of a vasectomy which has been tried in india and similar programs in other countries. Men won't volunteer to do this of their own free will so the next step is to put economic incentives. In practice, this won't work because it's the ones who already have 4-10 children who are struggling economically, who will opt for this "I'll sell my testes" program.

If you try to sneak it past the public, activist groups will eventually bankrupt the campaign anyway.
    "People often say that this or that person has not yet found himself. But the self is not something one finds; it is something one creates." - Thomas Szasz

Oberon

All these authoritarian propositions depress me. The problem will solve itself. Scarcity will depress birthrates when it becomes severe enough. Have you not read your Malthus?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTJ

Malthus... That is one of the best sources we can get... But some things need action... And we also have to get the bankrupters...

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    All these authoritarian propositions depress me. The problem will solve itself. Scarcity will depress birthrates when it becomes severe enough. Have you not read your Malthus?
    I don't think Malthus ever believed we'd get to this point anyway.

The entire idea that "OMFG WE NEED TO KILL PEOPLE TO PRESERVE RESOURCESSS!!!" is totally wacky. The few who don't reproduce much are the ones who use the most resources and the many who do reproduce a lot barely use any -- so while population has to do with consumption of resources, they're not directly correlated. It seems to have more to do with wealth and population density than actual numbers.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Oberon

It looks to me like one of the many issues that has been co-opted for political purposes.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

The problem will solve itself.
    No.

The problem is if population growth in any way contributes to resources not of natural subsistence, but resources for technology. This is because, sadly, for much of the human race that technology has because a necessity to maintain subsistence.

If we expend our resources enough that we can't maintain that technology everywhere (not hard since essentially eveything is petroleum based right now) there will be serious consequences. In a sense it will correct itself, but not by flattening out, but rather by rapidly falling down, i.e technology turning backwards and tons of people dying.

In theory, a similar problem is faced with the environment, as there are potential "points of no return".

This is why we are in a rock and a hard place. It seems morally wrong to leave people in the third world to languish. But helping them surely means making them consumers of resources and producers of pollution like us.

EDIT: Of course, regulating out own behavior right now would be dandy, but that never seems to be acceptable to people. So if we can't change behavior, we must once again rely strictly on the material impact of technology. We have to find a way to bring about rapid advancement that does not threaten our environment or resource reserves. It is much easier said than done.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    No.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    In a sense it will correct itself, but not by flattening out, but rather by rapidly falling down, i.e technology turning backwards and tons of people dying.
    For this reason. It's far preferable than killing off entire populations pre-emptively, so that bad things don't happen to the rest of us.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

For this reason. It's far preferable than killing off entire populations pre-emptively, so that bad things don't happen to the rest of us.
    How about neither?

And if a case could be made for pre-emptive killing, I suppose one would say that it's better to lose people and keep the technology than to lose both. However, I do wonder if our ability to maintain such technology would survive such a massive drop in population.
    Go to sleep, iguana.