User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Default Could hyperinflation happen in the US?

Some economic experts are warning that the US could experience hyperinflation, maybe within 5-10 years or sooner. Hyperinflation is inflation that is very high or "out of control", a condition in which prices increase rapidly as a currency loses its value. This situation happened in Zimbabwe(very recently) and The Weimar Republic(Germany, during the early 1920s).
    Reserved Calm Unstructured Egocentric Inquisitive Clown

Johari Nohari

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Well... Technically... Yeah, it could.
    If the oil producing countries changed their oil sell currency to the Euro or such instead of the dollar, the inherent value would sink as a two tonne lead ball in the Mariana Trench.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Well... Technically... Yeah, it could.
    If the oil producing countries changed their oil sell currency to the Euro or such instead of the dollar, the inherent value would sink as a two tonne lead ball in the Mariana Trench.
    Which is interesting as the Iraqis and neighbouring arab states where considering doing exactly this before the most recent Iraq war.

I think the US is as susceptible as any other economy globally, the Japanese and other nations have experienced hyperdeflation in their economies already during the boom times (prices fall and can not increase, which sounds good as a consumer but think about it it doesnt matter how low prices are if your earnings undercut them).

To honest I think that the equality question which conservatives hate will become important again, not because of any concern for the underdog but because, realistically, if the rich bankers etc. are insulated enough from concurrent crisis they will not refrain from behaving in a way which causes or deepens crisis in the first place.

Did you see the fines what the Enronistas paid? Without flinching either, it didnt worry them if they where docked what would be years and years, possibly a life time, of earnings for other people.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Well, inflation is good for debtors and bad for savers...

If countries in charge of their own currency can just print more currency, why can't they just take it out of circulation if they wanted to?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Well, inflation is good for debtors and bad for savers...

If countries in charge of their own currency can just print more currency, why can't they just take it out of circulation if they wanted to?
    You mean to address deflation?

It wouldnt result in an automatic correction by stretch of the imagination anyway, demand and supply dont perfectly sync up in most economies, new planning techniques may provide more information to planners and to managers of private businesses but regardless of the information there will still be people who attempt to buck the trend and score millions, as a result the cycles of destruction and loss which Schumpeter described will be the only way to deal with inflation or deflation in the long run.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    You mean to address deflation?

It wouldnt result in an automatic correction by stretch of the imagination anyway, demand and supply dont perfectly sync up in most economies, new planning techniques may provide more information to planners and to managers of private businesses but regardless of the information there will still be people who attempt to buck the trend and score millions, as a result the cycles of destruction and loss which Schumpeter described will be the only way to deal with inflation or deflation in the long run.
    No, I mean to adress hyperinflation.

"Want to see a magic trick? I'm going to make the US inflation crisis... disappear."

What happens when the US buys its own debt? That's something I don't understand. If I owe someone 6 million dollars, and I buy my 6 million dollar debt from them, so I now owe 6 million to myself that I can't get, what am I supposed to do?

Excuse me for my stupidity, but this is not something I was taught in my econ class.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFP

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

No, it probably won't happen. It's an extreme occurrence and the threat of hyperinflation in the US is hyped up a lot by gold-sellers and right-wing media and it's done for profit and ideology.

In the next years the opposite will be more of an issue, too much supply with too little demand.

MBTI
    INFP

too much supply of US dollars, and little demand? Thats the scary part for the US, people bailing themselves out of dollars...flooding the market with it. Chances are if inflation reaches 15%, it will continiu further to increasing levels.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Yeah, deflation. Not inflation.

The Japanese have been here already.