User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    GONE

Um haven't they studied their own history? The Roma will just come back. That's what they do. That's why they're called gypsies. Duh.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Well and they are EU citizens... so they have the right to come back!!

The interplay between settled people and unsettled people has always been really interesting to me... why are settled people, by and large, so threatened by the unsettled?

I don't know a lot about modern-day Roma culture, but from what I understand, the vast majority of Roma are settled, nowadays, at least in the US. But there are always modern-day traveling people-- carnies, those who follow the Ren Faire circuit, etc. I don't really have any point, except that I thought it was interesting.

Well and yeah, I think France's xenophobic underwear is showing, but it does that from time to time....
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    It is in violation of the EU statutes of liberty of movement. Pure racism.
    Yup. Viviane is taking France to task.
    "This is a situation I thought Europe would not have to witness again (after WWII)." Strong words.

BBC News - EU may take legal action against France over Roma
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I think it's right to throw them out. Gypsies are a very, very problematic culture which incorporates criminality and other parasitic behavior like begging.
    Notice that I said culture, not race.
    Nobody wants them here, because even if one or two doesn't cause problems, most do.
    I feel very, very free to generalize in this matter.
    There is no way I could count all the times I have seen gypsies stealing, starting fights over nothing, begging etc.
    They have even stole from my family. A neighbor saw one throw up my kid sister's new bike on a utility-trailer and head off.
    That makes it personal, since it made her cry. Back then, my parents were not wealthy, and they couldn't get her a new one.
    I don't know what I would have done if I had been around to see it.

If it's against EU law, kick them out and banish them from the Union altogether.
    They are parasites, and it's a life-style they will have to abandon or choose not to be around.
    This may sound harsh, if you haven't seen it yourself. So, see first, judge my words later.
    It's not "xenophobia" when it is justified.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    I think it's right to throw them out. Gypsies are a very, very problematic culture which incorporates criminality and other parasitic behavior like begging.
    Nobody wants them here, because even if one or two doesn't cause problems, most do.
    I feel very, very free to generalize in this matter.
    There is no way I could count all the times I have seen gypsies stealing, starting fights over nothing, begging etc.
    They have even stole from my family. A neighbor saw one throw up my kid sister's new bike on a utility-trailer and head off.
    That makes it personal, since it made her cry. Back then, my parents were not wealthy, and they couldn't get her a new one.
    I don't know what I would have done if I had been around to see it.

If it's against EU law, kick them out and banish them from the Union altogether.
    They are parasites, and it's a life-style they will have to abandon or choose not to be around.
    This may sound harsh, if you haven't seen it yourself. So, see first, judge my words later.
    Jesus H Christ.
    Did someone just invent a time machine?

Smile

Ever since I read, "Maggie Tulliver and the Gypsies", I have had a romantic view of gypsies.

I've only met them once on Razor Back mountain in sight of Sydney. They pulled up our car, went round to the driver's window and blessed and read his palm. But at the same time they were round the back of the car syphoning our fuel tank.

So like Maggie I would like to run away and join the gypsies, live on Razor Back mountain, read palms and syphon fuel tanks.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    It doesn't matter whether you say culture or race, this is still a highly ethnocentric and intolerant stance.

Even if it were justified, which I don't believe that it is, I'm not just talking about this incident when I say that France has some xenophobic tendencies. It's certainly not everyone in France - I think the French are great people - but the government traditionally and historically has been very nationalistic and reluctant to tolerate certain "foreign" customs within its borders. The issue of banning burqas/facial veils is another example.

My blog:

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Whether you have a romantic view or a paranoid one is irrelevant. They're EU citizens and have the same rights (and responsibilities) as everyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle99 View Post
    It's certainly not everyone in France
    There have been demonstrations against the measure in France.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    Whether you have a romantic view or a paranoid one is irrelevant. They're EU citizens and have the same rights (and responsibilities) as everyone else.
    There have been demonstrations against the measure in France.
    Well, the French have manifestations against everything.

But like I said, not everyone in France has this attitude. Mainly the government. Same as the US under Bush.

My blog:

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I kind of like it that the French will draw a line and say This, but not That.