User Tag List

Thread: NIMBYism

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Default NIMBYism

i.e. "not in my backyard"

Everytime some building or public works project is proposed, there seems to be a cadre of individuals who are dead set on nothing in their area changing. While some projects can be clear mistakes, I don't understand this as a consistent mindset, nor its absolutist flavor.

If there's a problem with what's planned, isn't it better to oppose, but be willing to compromise? It's rare that projects of massive scale do not serve some pressing need.

A lot of planning decisions are made by people with narrow and/or strategic interests, its good that there are others whose voices can mitigate or question and amend, the final outcome can only be an improvement on the original idea. Its a sort of refinement process.

In fact this is what I think democracy looks like and its probably important, even more so, at the level of planning and the economy as much as in elections and selections of public officers or servants.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

A biomass fuel plant in the Tallahassee area was not built because of NIMBYism.

The residents of town near the airport (not the best property to begin with) did not want the biomass fuel plant, despite the slew of jobs it would have created.

I was pissed about this a little. It will give the idiots who want to build a coal plant ammunition, claiming there is not enough electricity here. We have a hydroelectric dam and a municipal power plant, there's plenty of juice right now. But a biomass plant would have been a good reserve capacity, and provided room for the town to grow some without fear of a power shortage...
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post

The residents of town near the airport (not the best property to begin with) did not want the biomass fuel plant, despite the slew of jobs it would have created.

I was pissed about this a little. It will give the idiots who want to build a coal plant ammunition, claiming there is not enough electricity here. We have a hydroelectric dam and a municipal power plant, there's plenty of juice right now. But a biomass plant would have been a good reserve capacity, and provided room for the town to grow some without fear of a power shortage...
    We get the same thing about windmills here and I really hate talking to the campaigners, they generally assume agreement and will say with a nod and wink "What about house prices?" or "natural habitat of such and such bird" and they dont bloudy know the first thing about the such and such bird.

I think windmills are great, I'd build one in my house if I could.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post

This exact issue is actually threateningmy husband's job... my husband works at a paper mill that has been in operation for over 100 years. They recently lost their primary power source due to our energy company closing a plant. They are using a temporary solution for now, but it won't last long term. The proposal to put in a biomass fuel plant to fuel the mill is by far the best solution, but nearby residents are opposing it on the grounds that their property values will go down. Never mind that if they DON'T put in the biomass plant, most likely the mill will lose and hundreds of people will lose their jobs. :steam:
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle99 View Post
    This exact issue is actually threateningmy husband's job... my husband works at a paper mill that has been in operation for over 100 years. They recently lost their primary power source due to our energy company closing a plant. They are using a temporary solution for now, but it won't last long term. The proposal to put in a biomass fuel plant to fuel the mill is by far the best solution, but nearby residents are opposing it on the grounds that their property values will go down. Never mind that if they DON'T put in the biomass plant, most likely the mill will lose and hundreds of people will lose their jobs. :steam:
    ...which will cause lots of homes in the area to be foreclosed upon.

I wonder what will happen to property values then?