User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    XXFP

Addendum to my last post:

Russian rifles OR Lee Enfields'. Interesting article Peguy.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    eh, some are born marksmen, others are made. Not too surprising that the afghans have some of the former.
    There's also no guarantee that he's an Afghan. It's entirely possible, but he could also be Chechen, Chinese, Arab, etc. Even if he is an Afghan there's a reasonable chance that he was trained by an outsider (including us).
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Sniffles

Afghanistan has been at war since 1979, it's more than probable there are capable marksmen roaming around the country.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Well there are plenty of them around Afghanistan due to the British invasions and Afghanistan being a British buffer state against Russian expansion.
    I think you've got this a bit mixed up. The Afghans have a very long standing tradition of marksmanship going back to before the first British invasion in 1839. British troops then were massacared with the Jezail musket, a traditional Afghan weapon which easily outranged the muskets the British troops.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    I think you've got this a bit mixed up. The Afghans have a very long standing tradition of marksmanship going back to before the first British invasion in 1839. British troops then were massacared with the Jezail musket, a traditional Afghan weapon which easily outranged the muskets the British troops.
    I'm talking about why Lee-Enfields are being used there.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

I'm talking about why Lee-Enfields are being used there.
    Ah! I thought you were referring to the snipers!

Sniffles

I know the Afghans have a history of fighting off invadors since Alexander the Great and also about the Jezail musket. So this notion that Afghans somehow have to be trained by foreigners to be decent marksmen is rather silly. They have a long history of this.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

I know the Afghans have a history of fighting off invadors since Alexander the Great and also about the Jezail musket. So this notion that Afghans somehow have to be trained by foreigners to be decent marksmen is rather silly. They have a long history of this.
    Yeah, I was partly responding to this. I do actually think the thought process on which this expectation is based underpins why the troops are there in the first place too... :rolli:

Oberon

I think we've figured out where SONA went.