User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    OMNi

Default America: Reform, Revolution, or Disaster?

Which do you think it will take to get this country back on track? Economically we are in serious trouble.

1. We are currently experiencing a rapid decline from the housing bubble.
    2. The national debt has reached 9.2 trillion dollars.
    3. The US dollar has dropped significantly in value to about equal of that of the Canadian dollar and is still falling.
    4. More Americans are in serious credit card debt than ever before.
    5. We may very well be in a recession.

On top of that, we have now been in Iraq longer than we were in World War II. This is also undoubtedly the costliest war in US history, coming to a several hundred billion dollar price tag. Most of our military is stationed there, and it has become evident that we can't possibly continue to keep up the numbers because most are coming to an end of their enlistment and we can't recruit enough to make up for it.

President Bush has also cited that the world is even less safe than it was when we went to war with Iraq. Allegedly Iran is a serious threat to us, and has the potential to start "World War 3". Our relations with Russia and China are so strained, that some worry that we could enter a second Cold War.

We have over 40 million uninsured Americans in a health care system that is beginning to show signs of a doctor shortage due to the rising cost of malpractice insurance and education.

The cost of gas continues to rise, and we are supporting ineffective initiatives such as ethanol from corn which are causing a sharp increase in the price of many foods, and sapping water resources from areas that have been experiencing drought for the last few years.

Just to name a few of our current woes. I think we are probably heading toward a depression and war, since we seem to do a decent job of repeating our history.

Also a question for the republicans and conservatives out there. Do you think Bush or the Republican congress did a good job these last 6 years?

Oberon

You forgot the third option: Disaster.

As much as I would like either Reform (preferable) or Revolution (bloodless, please, if I get to pick), I think the third option is the most likely.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Which do you think it will take to get this country back on track?
    Reform. When America learns to stop wasting money and time trying to police world it will be fine. The US should concentrate sorting out it's own problems, in it own backyard, before telling others how to live their lives.

The worrying thing is the US has the greatest power of good out of any of the nations in the world, but seem totally unable to use that for the greater good of the world. Therefore, she wonders why few respect her like they once did. How are you supposed to respect something that does not respect themselves?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    Reform. When America learns to stop wasting money and time trying to police world it will be fine.

The worrying thing is the US has the greatest power of good out of any of the nations in the world, but seem totally unable to use that for the greater good of the world. Therefore, she wonders why few respect her like they once did.How are you supposed to respect something that does not respect themselves?
    No one becomes a superpower, or remains one, by being good.

All great nations fall, eventually. Love it while you can.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    No one becomes a superpower, or remains one, by being good.

All great nations fall, eventually. Love it while you can.
    Sure you can.

Despite what many people think, nearly every superpower that has ceased being a superpower was because of arrogance rather than becoming a failed political system. Failure can be tolerated easier than arrogance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    INFP

Economically we are in serious trouble.
    I don't think the average American senses that, Kiddo. By the way thanks for ruining my day with that depressing ass post. The world seems to be reacting to the rising costs of food but I don't feel it here. Go ask an American on the street if he's aware that the price of wheat, corn, and soybeans have more than doubled in the last year. I don't think he will have noticed or will even really give a damn. He'll know about gas though. It's pretty expensive and not so disposable. I guess we have too much money. To correct it all we'll probably have to be thrown out of bed and endure a nice recession for a couple years.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    Sure you can.

Despite what many people think, every superpower that has ceased being a superpower was because of arrogance rather than becoming a failed political system.
    Power is addictive, obviously. But the truth is, once you are in power, you can't sustain it without influencing the rest of the world to your benefit, especially not in the modern world. And I was talking more about our international affairs than our political system. Every political system is flawed.

Power isn't infinite. When you gain it, you take it from someone else.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ISTP

Hmmm... I'm willing to take bets on the following;

Inflation, markets, disasters and so forth.

In my experience, the "disaster" level are so rare, despite the certainty of the time, that I really do hope that people become pessimistic. It's the perfect time for me for this to happen. It's like a firesale on assets.

Anyway, just how confident in doom and gloom are people? I may come across as doomy, to the degree that I'm making a market call and selling my place, etc... but there is a difference between prophetic doom and market calls.

You can always short markets, buy commodities and so forth? Anyone believe things are that bad?

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Jive A Turkey View Post
    I don't think the average American senses that, Kiddo. By the way thanks for ruining my day with that depressing ass post.
    Were you expecting wonderful things from a thread titled "America: Reform, Revolution, or Disaster"?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

We may very well be in a recession
    A recession is identified by two consecutive quarters of negative growth. The last quarter showed nearly 5 percent growth, over thirty percent above normal. Inflation remains in check, employment near full, wages competitive. No market is irreproachable, though all are vulnerable to contrarian politics. Stop making sweeping generalizations based on impressions in your head.