User Tag List

First 12345 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    What makes other countries riot, just makes Americans bitch and moan. Then again, we haven't had a government restructure in the last cenury.
    Oldest constitution in use. I know everyone worships that thing, but honestly, we need to change it. The question is a matter of how we get the right person for the job.
    EDIT: or I should say, the right "people" for the job.

We are still very much a superpower and everyone is free to leave at anytime. The EU may be passing/have passed us economically but no one competes with us militarily anywhere.
    Hmmm. Can we assume that the EU would be a completely unified force?
    If we can, then I think there is room for debate about which has the better military.
    Last edited by Magic Poriferan; 01-16-2008 at 03:26 PM. Reason: correction
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Oldest constitution in use. I know everyone worships that thing, but honestly, we need to change it. The question is a matter of how we get the right person for the job.
    I personally wouldn't trust anyone to change it. In Texas we've amended ours something like 436 times and it still hasn't been revamped, so I wouldn't count on it.

Hmmm. Can we assume that the EU would be a completely unified force?
    If we can, then I think there is room for debate about which has the better military.
    I would have to see some statistics, but I doubt it's even debateable concerning sheer power, and not the merits/downfalls of an actual attack on either group.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Damn. The CIA still isn't regarding the EU as one force(and it probably shouldn't) so I'll have to assemble the statistics manually. Oh the tedium.
    Even that will only tell me how populous the army is and how much money it is getting. Technology is not determinable.
    Nations almost always have an army size reflective of their population, so we can assume that all the EU nations combined have a larger enlisted force than the USA.
    On the other hand, the EU is full of thoughtful progressives who have found better ways to spend their money, so the USA surely dumps more cash into its military than the EU does.

I just need to go about actually proving this.

For anyone that's never gone here. GO.
    https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...ook/index.html
    It's awesome.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Oberon

There's a process for that. I agree, it could use some changing.

MBTI
    INTJ

Damn. The CIA still isn't regarding the EU as one force(and it probably shouldn't) so I'll have to assemble the statistics manually. Oh the tedium.
    Even that will only tell me how populous the army is and how much money it is getting. Technology is not determinable.
    Nations almost always have an army size reflective of their population, so we can assume that all the EU nations combined have a larger enlisted force than the USA.
    On the other hand, the EU is full of thoughtful progressives who have found better ways to spend their money, so the USA surely dumps more cash into its military than the EU does.

I just need to go about actually proving this.

For anyone that's never gone here. GO.
    https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...ook/index.html
    It's awesome.
    Great resource.

I've used it on multiple papers already.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Great resource.

I've used it on multiple papers already.
    Yeah, but I also try to combine it with IMF and World Bank to get the most accurate readings on economics.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFJ

Can we assume that the EU would be a completely unified force?
    It's not. Most definitely not. Just look at what happened over the war in Iraq. The UK was championing it, France and Germany were totally against it, Spain and some others rallied for it after a while, and the rest were trying to remain in everyone's good books at the same time.

The US have a single Commander-in-Chief. The EU is nowhere about to have anything resembling that. I think we'd be more likely to turn on each other rather than act as a completely unified military force.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
    It's not. Most definitely not. Just look at what happened over the war in Iraq. The UK was championing it, France and Germany were totally against it, Spain and some others rallied for it after a while, and the rest were trying to remain in everyone's good books at the same time.

The US have a single Commander-in-Chief. The EU is nowhere about to have anything resembling that. I think we'd be more likely to turn on each other rather than act as a completely unified military force.

Yeah, but it's so circumstantial.
    I've engaged in this silly hypothetical many times.

In the case of the USA ATTACKING the EU, I think they would band together. I think they would respond similarly to Russia.
    I see no political reason for anyone to change sides in such a scenario, and any nation that did would have to be run by morons.

That being said, I doubt all the EU members would ever agree on an offensive mission.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFJ

In the case of the USA ATTACKING the EU, I think they would band together. I think they would respond similarly to Russia.
    You'd be surprised

For example, are we talking multiple attacks on several EU countries at once, or pinpointed attack on one or two EU countries? That would make a big difference.

I see no political reason for anyone to change sides in such a scenario, and any nation that did would have to be run by morons.

That being said, I doubt all the EU members would ever agree on an offensive mission.
    We might... if Russia and China and the US and the major Muslim countries all agreed on it, for a start

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

You'd be surprised

For example, are we talking multiple attacks on several EU countries at once, or pinpointed attack on one or two EU countries? That would make a big difference.
    How about a bunch of attack on the less developed nations?
    How about an attack on only one major nation, like the UK or Germany?
    Or, attacks aside, how about a declaration of war on Europe?

We might... if Russia and China and the US and the major Muslim countries all agreed on it, for a start
    Haha.
    Look, I know we all like to poke fun at our politicians, but I believe assessing the EU at that level is an under-estimation that would have grave results for any commander that made it.
    Nations with far less petty squabbles have banded together in times of need. Since World War II, the major European nations have been like bickering kids, not blood enemies.
    Go to sleep, iguana.