User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    <Kiddo's OP>
    I think you are exaggerating a bit. A depression?

I must admit, that most people I talk to are gloomy about the future. That doesn't make it true.

Economic Indicators.gov

These are lagging indicators, unfortunately. But you can form your own opinion about the last 6 years.

I will just say "meh." Could have been better, could have been worse for me.

Granted, I wish I had been part of the tech-boom of the 90's. But I know people personally who have become self-made millionaires (not handed the riches) during the last 6-7 years, so it hasn't been all bad for all people.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

*sigh* Alan Greenspan dared utter the "d-word" a while back, so who knows if the economy will follow his thoughts on it! :sad:

as for the whole list of things you've listed, that sounds like a response to an e-mail that I sent to my uber-conservative grandparents when I was in a shitty mood and they dared send me some sort of hideous e-mail that pretty much claimed that Bush is God and you're totally lucky to be an American! *shudders*

Basically, I realize that things aren't all that great, and that, as Meta said, all great powers fall *shrugs* I just try to get by as best I can and such...

oh yeah- I actually DO have a list of other countries I'd consider moving to and job options that I'd have there if things get too out of hand
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Norway!

Norway!

Let's all go to Norway!

Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ

I'll start brushing up on my Russian.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Give Priam's blog a read - The Widening Gyre.

He has some interesting, and neutral, points there on declines of power and the rise of multi-nation / dual power structures of leadership. What would it take for peace. That humans straddle the divide between "the falling angel and rising ape". He doesn't update often though.

Edit: htb, some of those points could be sweeping too, but in general, the overall tone is one I like: balance.

If more Americans bought into the idea of active engagement, it would give me hope, yes.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I'll start brushing up on my Russian.
    Are you implying that Russia will take Norway?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Norway!

Norway!

Let's all go to Norway!

No thank you.

When Norwegians emigrated en masse to the US back in the 19th century, they settled in places like North Dakota. If North Dakota looks so much better than the place they left, I don't think I want to go to the place they left.

Though I might well vacation there in the summer, provided I can get some akvavit and maybe catch a few halibut.

MBTI
    OMNi

I was reading a post by a Western European and he had some good charges against America. To rephrase them into a question:

Why do we stand by apathetically while our constitutional rights are being assaulted, while our leadership engage in profiteering wars, while our purchasing power keeps diminishing and our debt keeps increasing, while our education and health care system keep getting worse?

In seven years we have gone from superpower to a worldwide laughing stock. Of course, I'm sure we can blame it all on September 11th. Surely when a few thousand people died in New York, the greatest nation on Earth had permission to just crawl off and die. I'm actually ashamed of being an American. I wonder if that is the kind of legacy the founding fathers wanted to leave behind.

MBTI
    INTJ

Why do we stand by apathetically while our constitutional rights are being assaulted, while our leadership engage in profiteering wars, while our purchasing power keeps diminishing and our debt keeps increasing, while our education and health care system keep getting worse?
    What makes other countries riot, just makes Americans bitch and moan. Then again, we haven't had a government restructure in the last cenury.

In seven years we have gone from superpower to a worldwide laughing stock. Of course, I'm sure we can blame it all on September 11th. Surely when a few thousand people died in New York, the greatest nation on Earth had permission to just crawl off and die. I'm actually ashamed of being an American. I wonder if that is the kind of legacy the founding fathers wanted to leave behind.
    We are still very much a superpower and everyone is free to leave at anytime. The EU may be passing/have passed us economically but no one competes with us militarily anywhere.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

There are a lot of people who notice this, and it influences their decisions. It may not be an obvious influence, but it is certainly there. This has also happened in other countries, and in the U.S. the price/wage changes haven't been enough that most people can't afford basic items yet, so there won't be huge amounts of outrage coming out.

In seven years we have gone from superpower to a worldwide laughing stock.
    Not true, Iraq and Afghanistan war trouble don't a laughingstock make, as these are areas with a lot of their own internal issues already, that are hard to control. U.S. is still quite powerful in a number of areas overall.
    Last edited by Zergling; 01-16-2008 at 07:05 PM.