User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: I am the source of all evil!

Senior Member Array ThatsWhatHeSaid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Allow me to introduce myself.

I am a fat, white, middle-class, taxpaying American. So hi!

That makes me evil, right?

I think there are a few things people can do that are truly evil: make people feel unsafe, break their spirit, and exploit them for your own benefit. It's not the people that're evil, but those motivations and drives that course through the mind and body begging for attention and expression.

Being a fat, white, middle class, taxpaying American isn't evil at all. Even capitalism itself, as much as I hate the way it operates, isn't evil. It's the need to conquer and exploit--greed--that is improperly justified in the name of capitalism. Capitalism with a conscience might work, whereas capitalism without a conscience will never work.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Capitalism with a conscience might work, whereas capitalism without a conscience will never work.
    Oh I think it can, at least for a while.

This is a little like the argument about totalitarianism in Orwell's 1984, Orwell witnessed totalitarianism triumphant and also the totalitarian personas in organisations in asdency and realised, yeah, that it will work and succeed. It will. However, what by what standard?

In 1984 the joke is on big brother because Winston Smith is a wreck in the finish, that's all they can do realistically, produce wrecks of individuals, not intellectuals, not even workers, just wrecks and the sort of shambolic and degraded standards permeate out to the sorts of cigarettes and alcohol there is available to consumers.

Capitalism without a conscience would work, it would be really disgusting and degraded but it would work until it ran out of steam and became too rotten. I dont see it as being threatened by revolution at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Found out who you are buster. You lose.
    I don't get it, but if you say so.