User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Sorry Lark, but no. Practical reasoning can tell you what society thinks is acceptable, what you can get away with and what the benfits/costs of a given course of action are. It can't tell you what if anything is objectively, scientifically evil. Your ethics are coming from somewhere else; moral relativism from the sound of it.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Manis View Post
    Sorry Lark, but no. Practical reasoning can tell you what society thinks is acceptable, what you can get away with and what the benfits/costs of a given course of action are. It can't tell you what if anything is objectively, scientifically evil. Your ethics are coming from somewhere else; moral relativism from the sound of it.
    What?

My ethics are morally relativist because I suggest that there is an objective definition of evil based in practical reason?

I'd argue it out with you but I generally like to argue with people who're making sense to begin with.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Blown Ghost View Post
    Assuming we are trying to find the reason for evil and anything that does not eventually cause any harm isn't evil, then ultimately that reason must be ignorance--there are other things that cause harm but if they are beyond the control of man then there is no reason they should be of concern to any of us. Ignorance is a relative state of knowing anything less than everything and if you do not know everything then mistakes are unavoidable and harm is caused. To err is human and if it wasn't then we wouldn't call being human a condition.
    It sounds a little like a Socratic idea I heard or read about once, that all evil and wrong doing is simply a mistake by those who know not what they're doing.

Perhaps for some people it is a case of "If they knew good, they would do good" but I've met people who where absolutely convinced of the rightness of their actions, they could rationalise just about anything they did afterwards but they where real assholes and would revel in others misery, misfortune or distress.

I think a great deal of evil does stem from the fact that men and women are rationalising rather than rational but I dont know if that's the human condition or the same thing as what you're talking about here. Its interesting though.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I am the sauce of all evil:

[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

What is it?

MBTI
    INFP

Using public consensus as justification of your moral beliefs? However could I have made such a mistake..?

Sorry mate, I was having a bit of a dig at you in response to your attack on my silly semi-serious comment. You do seem pretty hard-headed though, even for an Astartes.

And that picture above seems to be a seriously spicy chilli.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Manis View Post
    Using public consensus as justification of your moral beliefs? However could I have made such a mistake..?

Sorry mate, I was having a bit of a dig at you in response to your attack on my silly semi-serious comment. You do seem pretty hard-headed though, even for an Astartes.

And that picture above seems to be a seriously spicy chilli.
    Found out who you are buster. You lose.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    No it's the Fe dominance that does it.
    lol + 1

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

You also left out "driver of huge gas guzzler"!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    You left out the words "old, Republican and Southern Baptist".
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

No. That makes you fat.