User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle99 View Post
    Being white is not evil, but failing to recognize that we (whites - myself included) benefit from the exploitation of non-whites (regardless of whether we actively contribute to such exploitation) is... well, I wouldn't say evil, exactly, but certainly unfortunate. Recognizing that fact and failing to strive to correct it is another story.
    Oh that's good.. Like I don't have enough to feel guilty for already.. I am not going to feel like crap because of some Pigmentation.
    Whites are not the only imperialists nor are they they the only capitalists.

Some humans just oppress and exploit others, and race or color is not a prerequisite.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Oh that's good.. Like I don't have enough to feel guilty for already.. I am not going to feel like crap because of some Pigmentation.
    Whites are not the only imperialists nor are they they the only capitalists.

Some humans just oppress and exploit others, and race or color is not a prerequisite.
    Like I said in another thread... read Mills.

You don't need to feel guilty unless you are actively part of the exploitation. White privilege is the result of centuries of systematic racism - blaming ourselves for it is silly and doesn't do any good. The important thing is to fight for justice and equality and try to right the wrongs that are inherent in the system.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    ENFJ

You don't need to feel guilty unless you are actively part of the exploitation. White privilege is the result of centuries of systematic racism - blaming ourselves for it is silly and doesn't do any good. The important thing is to fight for justice and equality and try to right the wrongs that are inherent in the system.
    So if I'm not fighting I'm evil?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm not calling anyone evil. I don't know you.

My blog:

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Sounds like more "fight intolerance with intolerance" to me .

Also I am A Canadian .. and US style racism is pretty much a local phenomena limited to the US.
    If anything.. in this country being a white male.. I am the guy who is prejudged and shat on for merely existing.

It's gets pretty tiring how with whites.. it's "racial" violence or oppression.. whenever it's someone else.. It's "ethnic" violence.. and if it's against whites.. it's always justified or whites deserved it..

I don't know.. maybe I am overreacting??

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Generalisations to the particular are the problem
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm not talking about the actual ACT of racism/exploitation/violence, or anything. I am merely stating that whites benefit from privilege inherent in the way the world works, which is the result of many historical factors. Mills calls this "The Racial Contract." He emphasizes the fact that although all whites BENEFIT from the contract (although to different degrees), that does not mean that we are all SIGNATORIES to the contract.

Mills's point isn't to make us feel guilty, but rather to help us to see the inequality from which we benefit. He uses the metaphor that "Fish don't see the water" - this inequality is so ingrained in the way things work that we don't even notice it. But if you read Mills (who really explains things way better than I am doing), and see the evidence he gives in support of his theory, you'll see it. It becomes SO OBVIOUS. And once you recognize it and come to accept it as truth, you either choose to fight against it, even in small ways, or you become a signatory.

My blog:

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Sounds like more "fight intolerance with intolerance" to me .

Also I am A Canadian .. and US style racism is pretty much a local phenomena limited to the US.
    If anything.. in this country being a white male.. I am the guy who is prejudged and shat on for merely existing.

It's gets pretty tiring how with whites.. it's "racial" violence or oppression.. whenever it's someone else.. It's "ethnic" violence.. and if it's against whites.. it's always justified or whites deserved it..

I don't know.. maybe I am overreacting??
    No, you're Canadian, that makes you okay.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I read white "dominance" is related to 2 factors.

The northern climate requiring ,ingenuity and team work to survive.
    and The cultivation and consumption of the potato.

SO we have benefited from evolution.

I can assure you if any other race had gotten the upper hand they would have behaved exactly the same.. The only difference is scale.. The whites went global .. but any culture as a microcosm will show the exact same tendencies of control and oppression of others.

The real enemy is economic elitism, and it's systems. racism is just symptomatic of that .

MBTI
    ENFJ

White people didn't have potatoes for the majority of their evolution.