User Tag List

First 23456 Last

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    If there would be a difference in the reaction, it's not only because of what Ivy said. It's also because Britney and Aguilera are, oh, I don't know...famous? I guarantee you that 8 out of 10 people you stop on the street have no idea who Tila Tequila is.
    that's just it though...

Name ONE female asian singer/pop star that's been made more famous than Tila? The truth of the matter is there's no capacity for asian pop stars, it's a low ceiling for them.

I'm not trying to start a fight here with anyone, I just think our culture is very subtly racist in a lot of ways.

MBTI
    INTP

After a quick google search, it becomes apparent that juggalos a) can't spell to save their lives, and b) really like to see "titties."
    Something Witty

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    that's just it though...

Name ONE female asian singer/pop star that's been made more famous than Tila? The truth of the matter is there's no capacity for asian pop stars, it's a low ceiling for them.

I'm not trying to start a fight here with anyone, I just think our culture is very subtly racist in a lot of ways.
    If that's a point you're trying to make, I think you've picked a poor example. Does she have any demonstrable talent?
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

hell if i know, i dont listen to her shit.... :P

You're in the biz, who do you think is a prime example?

MBTI
    INFP

that's just it though...

Probably true. If Beyonce were asian nobody would've heard of her.

ETA: this was meant to be a joke, btw

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    After a quick google search, it becomes apparent that juggalos a) can't spell to save their lives, and b) really like to see "titties."

I've never even heard of these people before, but Tallulah just skooled me.

hell if i know, i dont listen to her shit.... :P

You're in the biz, who do you think is a prime example?
    I wouldn't point one out, because I don't believe this particular prejudice exists.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Are you serious? You don't think people would be making the same kind of comments about, say, Paris Hilton? What they have in common is not their ethnicity, it's their being disgusting, vapid media whores with extremely questionable ethics.
    This. Tila is probably one notch below Paris on the vapid media whore scale, and yet, if this happened to Paris or one of the Kardashian sisters, even, you'd see the same reaction. Though Paris or Kim probably wouldn't be desperate enough for cash that they'd take the ICP gig.

I don't agree with what happened, though. She's stupid and vapid, but I'm sure it was terrifying to be hunted down by a pack of semiliterate Bozo-thug wannabes in the middle of Nowhere, Illinois. She shouldn't have taken the gig, especially if she didn't really understand the "culture." But there should have been some security or a police presence there to prevent stuff like this from happening. It seems like the kind of thing that is pretty likely to happen with a large gathering like this.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    ----

that's just it though...

there's plenty of female asian pop stars who have sold millions of records in asia. why should success in the west be seen as the pinnacle of achievement? like it doesn't count unless white, rich people like you?

people are poking fun because she's a walking parody of what's sick with the entertainment industry.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Strawberriez, when will you understand that no one can name any really high-end asian pop stars because they don't exist, not because asian pop culture is more popular in, Ya know, Asia.

Anime fanboys don't drip in their pants at the opportunity to see asian pop sensations live in concert via Anime conventions or anything. They're too white to be bothered with such trivial things. /troll hating rant.

Aaanyways. It is interesting that people focused right on Tila Tequila herself.. my first reaction was immediately "omg what shitty security detail".. I didn't even really think of her.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge