User Tag List

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Default The "Grandma Scam" ... please talk about it with your loved ones!

Please be aware of the prevalence of this scam and take precautions; talk to your grandparents and tell them if anyone ever calls claiming to be you, asking to send money, tell them to hang up immediately and call you or your parents back directly (at a known phone number) to verify everything.

The only way to truly stop this scam is to talk about it advance. Don't assume because your parents or grandparents are "sharp" that they cannot be duped.

Emergency or "Grandparent" Scam

Though the “Emergency Scam” (or sometimes referred to as the “Grandparent Scam”) has been around for years, the RCMP led Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre (PhoneBusters) warns the public to be on after noting a marked increase in the number of complaints in the last two months.

Traditionally operating as a telemarketing scam throughout North America, fraudsters contact potential victims while posing as a family member or friend in urgent need of cash. Often the scenario involves an accident or arrest while travelling abroad, with a request that cash be sent through a money transfer company, such as Western Union or Money Gram.

There are commonly two methods used in an attempt to fulfill this scam.

1) In the typical scenario, a grandparent receives a phone call from con-artist claiming to be one of his or hers grandchildren. The caller goes on to say that they are in some kind of trouble, usually a car accident, returning from a foreign country, or even bail money and need money immediately.

A typical call can go something like this:

Con-artist: Hi, Grandma/Grandpa
    Victim: Hi.
    Con-artist: Do you know who this is?
    Victim: John?
    Con-artist: Yeah.

Victims don't verify the story until after the money has been sent as the caller specifically asks that they do not want other relatives to know what has happened by asking “Can you please help me? I'm in jail (or in the hospital / or in some type of financial need). But don't tell Dad. He would kill me if he found out, please sent the money ASAP. I'm scared"

Wanting to help their grandchild, the victim sends money by a money transfer company such as Money Gram or Western Union.

Variations on the scam exist such as an old neighbor, a friend of the family etc. but predominantly the emergency scam is directed toward the Grandparents.

2) In a recent variation of this scam, compromised contact lists from hijacked email accounts are used to send the potential victim an “urgent” email request for money from a friend or relative with whom they have a correspondence. Common themes continue to be hospitalization or imprisonment while away from home. The friend is unaware that their account has been used to send out these requests to everyone on their contact list.[/INDENT]
    The Emergency or "Grandma" Scam

I want to get the word out to help prevent it from happening to your family!
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Read this, and talk to your grandparents about it!
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Luckily for me my grandmother can't remember anyone's names. (not being sarcastic on that one btw.) But my grandma before she lost her memories was scammed a bit by a con artist taking advantage of her early stages of alzheimers. We moved her in with my aunt soon after that, luckily we caught the dude and ran him off before he could do too much damage.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Thanks for your post kyuuei.

My mother-in-law is 75, plays tennis 3x a week, invests in the stock market, is as sharp as a tack. Yet when a male caller claimed he was her grandson, she didn't question it - didn't validate whether the claims he made for money were true, didn't feel alarmed that he asked the money be sent in another person's name, didn't consider that sending money Western Union is generally unrecoverable.

This info all started to come to light at our family picnic three weeks ago when she told my son to smarten up and never to call her again ... it took a few days of digging back and forth to uncover this whole story.

This person cheated her out of a significant sum of money, but the worst part is the potential damage in relationships. My son did feel insulted that his Grandma would think he could do this to her ... and, there's probably a niggly little part of her mind wondering if it was him after all ... after all, it feels embarrassing, even inconceivable to not even be able to recognize if someone is your own grandson on the phone.

Yet this scam is pretty successful, sadly. Most people who are duped would swear on a stack of Bibles they thought they were talking to their grandchild.

But we did convince her to go to the police, and she filed her report last Saturday.

I do hope some of you share this info directly with your older loved ones to prevent this from occurring in your family.
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching