User Tag List

First 123

Thread: Jury Duty

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    For me it's because I value and respect the law and the system that keeps us (relatively) free, and so the opportunity to participate in that system rather than simply appreciate it from afar is an honor, in theory. In practice, I'll have to pay someone to watch my son all day and make sure my daughter gets home from school safely, or my husband will have to lose vacation time to do that.
    I guess that was my initial viewpoint rather than my later one. I was mostly focused on how annoying it would be to be torn away from my job/school and my online friends/research to sit and try to reach a consensus with a bunch people I don't know who might not all be reasonable enough in their views to see what's going on for themselves, or even to yield to the majority.

But of course I understand that it's the law that I've agreed to by virtue of living here and enjoying the benefits, so I'll obey it if I'm asked. I won't be happy about being asked, but I'll obey.

I guess I don't understand how some people see it as more of an honorable privilege than a burdensome duty. I mean, even the people who instituted it called it jury duty.

I think it could just be a pessimism/optimism thing. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    So it's just one day a week? Is that pretty customary across the US? One day a week I can pretty much handle indefinitely.

(Sorry, proteanmix, I know you wanted a more theoretical discussion!)
    Not here, anyway. In California, you need to go five days a week. If after two weeks you have not been chosen for a jury, you are dismissed. If before the two weeks is up you are chosen for a jury, you must see that trial to its conclusion.

An exception is grand jury service, which I spoke about in my earlier post. Grand jurors serve for a period of six months instead of being tied to a particular trial. Grand juries meet once a week for the six months. I dread it because if I am selected, I am basically unemployable for six months.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    An exception is grand jury service, which I spoke about in my earlier post. Grand jurors serve for a period of six months instead of being tied to a particular trial. Grand juries meet once a week for the six months. I dread it because if I am selected, I am basically unemployable for six months.
    Or you could just come down with a mysterious, persistent recurring cold...

How funny (is ironic the word? Damn Alanis Morissette for mangling that word in the national consciousness -- Canadians) Make sure justice is serve while simultaneously lying to your employer.

And Athenian I just realized with a name like that, I thought you'd be more enthused about your civiv duty of serving on a jury and being part of the larger legal process.

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Or you could just come down with a mysterious, persistent recurring cold...

How funny (is ironic the word? Damn Alanis Morissette for mangling that word in the national consciousness -- Canadians) Make sure justice is serve while simultaneously lying to your employer.

And Athenian I just realized with a name like that, I thought you'd be more enthused about your civiv duty of serving on a jury and being part of the larger legal process.
    Hah, being sick once a week would probably get me fired just as fast