User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Jury Duty

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I've been called and cut twice. There's something about me that they don't like.
    Same here. It seems to happen to everyone at work.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

I was called this summer for the first time. An honor and duty I had been expecting for many years....and then dismissed. I take it as a serious responsibility and a small price to pay... if I even considered it an inconvenience.
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

This will be the first time I've actually gone. I was summoned when my daughter was a baby and I begged off because she was nursing & wouldn't take a bottle (not that I tried that hard to make her). Even though I have an almost-3 year old and I think you're usually excused if you're the primary caregiver to children under 5, I feel like I should do it this time since I got off the hook once already.

To be quite honest, if it weren't for the logistical nightmare of all-day childcare for my son & afterschool care for my daughter, I'd do it enthusiastically. Seems like a good way to give back. I may change my tune after the boredom sets in as Jae Rae remarks.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

Boredom is a choice.
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

I've been called three times in the last five years. The first time I was selected for a jury but the prosecutor dropped the charges after the first day. The second time I was selected for a jury and went all the way through to a verdict. The third time was just last month - a grand jury summons. I regretfully had my service deferred for six months because I'm not working, and I won't get a job if I have to tell them that I need to be in court one day a week. That's the main problem with jury service. Most employers don't respect it, and it can have a really detrimental effect on your career.

I think jury service is a small price to pay for the judicial system we enjoy. It's not perfect by any means, but it beats the hell out of getting dragged away in the middle of the night by the Gestapo/KGB/SS.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

So it's just one day a week? Is that pretty customary across the US? One day a week I can pretty much handle indefinitely.

(Sorry, proteanmix, I know you wanted a more theoretical discussion!)

MBTI
    GONE

I would love to serve on a jury. In smaller jurisdictions you are more likely to be called -- but wow FM, I always imagined LA to be so populous... I knew someone who refused to register to vote in DC because she didn't want to be called to jury duty. I didn't get that, DC voters have like 2x the influence the typical voter in a state because there are just so few of them. I dunno, it seemed kinda petty to me.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I don't get it. Why do most people here seem to see the idea of jury duty as some sort of "honor," while I see it as an annoying expectation that I'll tolerate only because I value and respect the law? Am I just weird and lazy? Or do they just have very deeply instilled cultural values from somewhere?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

For me it's because I value and respect the law and the system that keeps us (relatively) free, and so the opportunity to participate in that system rather than simply appreciate it from afar is an honor, in theory. In practice, I'll have to pay someone to watch my son all day and make sure my daughter gets home from school safely, or my husband will have to lose vacation time to do that.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I don't get it. Why do most people here seem to see the idea of jury duty as some sort of "honor," while I see it as an annoying expectation that I'll tolerate only because I value and respect the law? Am I just weird and lazy? Or do they just have very deeply instilled cultural values from somewhere?
    Yes?

Hahahah, you know I kid. (The pitfall of rhetorical questions)

Not weird, because I think annoyance and avoidance are the general attitudes towards jury duty. Lazy? Hmm, that may sound a bit judgemental but how about yes to the spirit of the word? I think most people find jury duty a hassle and unenjoyable. IOW, unmotivated.

I guess for me it's not an honor so much as a great opportunity that also seems exciting or at least interesting. I'm surprised that more people don't see it as such.

Isn't it exciting to be invited into the formal legal process, to see it from the inside out? To have your opinions and actions directly influence the lives of people? Tasking your ethics and intelligence and debating and discussing with your peers to make sure that justice is served?

Don't you like telling people, "Naughty, naughty, naughty!":1377:

Hahhaah, okay that just disqualified me from every jury in the country.

I've always been keenly interested in questions of right and wrong and attracted to electoral government, politics, and law. Which led me to do a lot of community organizing and education. I also have a degree in Poli. Sci. So I guess you can say I'm pretty civic minded, engaged, and have that fruity ENFP sense of being part of the larger cosmos and having moral commitments and connections to people.

Even when I went to traffic court and watched a few hours of preceedings before me, I found it to be entertaining, educating, and just interesting.

So, IOW, I'm not apathetic. And perhaps bit of a drama queen.

I really do think I'd be a great juror and do a better job than some jurors in the past.

And yes, that smugness would probably get me disqualified.