Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    The US government has had a hand in this, too. Drug prohibition has lead to in increase in corruption in Latin America. We've also contributed to political instability by overthrowing governments that weren't friendly to US corporations (see Guatemala). We've been a bad neighbor.

Rather than patrolling the border more diligently, I'd rather see conditions in Latin American countries improve so that fewer people are driven to take such desperate measures. When people are desperate, human trafficking thrives.
    Yes I think you are right.

MBTI
    STFU

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Okay. I see what you are saying. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

I was actually talking to a friend about this just today: how do you let the decent people - average citizens - in and keep the destructive people - drug dealers, gangs, violent persons - out? That's the problem, and you are right to point this out to me.
    that is the hard part. and i'm sure much pain will be caused in the process. its very unfortunate.

for example, my dear friend's wife has spent 99% of her life in the states. but she was born in mexico. this ruling puts her situation in jeopardy and her relationship with her husband through a huge strain. he's afraid to take her anywhere. she feels like a caged animal. i understand his concern and hers. it sucks in general.
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Okay. I see what you are saying. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

I was actually talking to a friend about this just today: how do you let the decent people - average citizens - in and keep the destructive people - drug dealers, gangs, violent persons - out? That's the problem, and you are right to point this out to me.
    Simple answer? You weigh the good vs. the bad. You know, type I vs. type II errors. Type I: kick everyone out, including good people. Type II: Let everyone in, including the illegals and the gangs and so on.

Right now, we see that type II is unacceptable, therefore we should go to type I.

Plus, the US government doesn't owe the general layman from any other part of the world a single thing. To say "oh these poor people need help" is nice, but I for one would vote against every single proposition that had the government spending a cent on it, because that comes from my future tax dollars, and since taxation = representation, I say HELL NO.

I also don't understand the whole idea that America must always have its doors open. Sorry, but we have enough unemployed people, and we don't need people from overseas coming seeking a better life to compete with those already looking for work for who knows how long. If companies inside the US are laying off, the best thing the government could do is shut the doors to the country, lower supply of labor, and therefore increase the chance of local labor to find work.
    I am an ENTJ. I hate political correctness but love smart people ^_^

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post
    Simple answer? You weigh the good vs. the bad. You know, type I vs. type II errors. Type I: kick everyone out, including good people. Type II: Let everyone in, including the illegals and the gangs and so on.

Right now, we see that type II is unacceptable, therefore we should go to type I.

Plus, the US government doesn't owe the general layman from any other part of the world a single thing. To say "oh these poor people need help" is nice, but I for one would vote against every single proposition that had the government spending a cent on it, because that comes from my future tax dollars, and since taxation = representation, I say HELL NO.

I also don't understand the whole idea that America must always have its doors open. Sorry, but we have enough unemployed people, and we don't need people from overseas coming seeking a better life to compete with those already looking for work for who knows how long. If companies inside the US are laying off, the best thing the government could do is shut the doors to the country, lower supply of labor, and therefore increase the chance of local labor to find work.
    I dont know if I actually "Buy American" very often but I'm thinking about stopping after reading this.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I dont know if I actually "Buy American" very often but I'm thinking about stopping after reading this.
    Seriously.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Yeah, good point. You should start buying French.

Oh, wait...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK1986 View Post

Not a big fan of the Blackstone ratio, are you?
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post

Oh, wait...
    Another good point... touché....
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post

Oh, wait...
    This is slightly off topic, but: heh???? Am i missing some inside joke? Why shouldn´t someone from Ireland buy French? Besides, I thought the days of "freedom fries" (which are of Belgian origin anyway) were over... Clue me in!
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    This is slightly off topic, but: heh???? Am i missing some inside joke? Why shouldn´t someone from Ireland buy French? Besides, I thought the days of "freedom fries" (which are of Belgian origin anyway) were over... Clue me in!
    Sarkozy & Company have just started shipping undocumented Gypsies to Romania by the jetload, specifically in an effort to reduce crime in the country.