First 345

Thread: Vice

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Okay over penetration is in regard to going through people not necessarily just walls and such.

Secondly automatic fire is soo useless for 90% of what they do esp rifle fire! Well unless you're very relaxed about friendly fire.

Shotguns can blow hinges yes but that's no reason to carry a whole load of them. Using an open choke only increases the chance of injuring friendlies and it's kinda interesting that Geneva looks down on shotguns but the police forces can use them. 1.5 meters spread at 50meter range... in a room... in a room with other SWAT members.... in a room potentially with innocents in it!!!

It's getting like Elmer Fudd runs the SWAT!

Anyhow that's a little off topic perhaps. I'll stop now.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Shotguns can blow hinges yes but that's no reason to carry a whole load of them. Using an open choke only increases the chance of injuring friendlies and it's kinda interesting that Geneva looks down on shotguns but the police forces can use them. 1.5 meters spread at 50meter range... in a room... in a room with other SWAT members.... in a room potentially with innocents in it!!!
    You're right about the 1.5 meters spread at 50 meters range. The path of the shot load describes a cone fifty meters long, with its point at the muzzle of the weapon and the base a circle 1.5 meters in diameter, at the target.

But rooms in homes aren't fifty meters long. A typical engagement distance within a house is more like ten meters at most, or one-fifth of the total distance previously discussed. At ten meters, the shot pattern is one-fifth of 1.5 meters, or .3 meters in diameter. That's 30 centimeters, or about a foot.

People overestimate the significance of shot spread at limited ranges. The shotgun is a precision weapon within buildings. If that one foot of pattern diameter makes the difference between hitting or not hitting a friendly, the shot shouldn't be taken in the first place.

But as I said, my problem isn't with the weapons; it's that the team can be used to raid the homes of ordinary citizens and people seem to be pretty much okay with that.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    But this brings us back to my thesis: Pick your poison. Myself, I'd rather put up with the problems caused by de-felonized pot smoking than live in a country where the gestapo can raid your house whenever they decide to do so. Then again, I'm funny that way.
    What annoys me is their power of seizure. It's a civil matter instead of a criminal matter, so technically, you have to prove that you Didn't use it for a crime, rather than them proving that you Did use it for a crime. Driving around with a joint in your car and $20 grand in cash? See ya cash. Get caught with an ounce of weed in your corvette? See ya corvette.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    What annoys me is their power of seizure. It's a civil matter instead of a criminal matter, so technically, you have to prove that you Didn't use it for a crime, rather than them proving that you Did use it for a crime. Driving around with a joint in your car and $20 grand in cash? See ya cash. Get caught with an ounce of weed in your corvette? See ya corvette.
    Civil forfeiture is as grotesque a miscarriage of justice as has ever been systematically perpetrated on the American people.

Harrumph, Harrumph.

(...but I quite mean it.)