User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Thread: Vice

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    I'm curious why prostitution and gambling are still illegal (besides benefitting Nevada). Is there any logical reason? I heard someone say once of Marijuana, "I don't think we should legalize it because it is safe. I think we should legalize it because it is dangerous." I think this applies here. Thoughts?
    I'm guessing it's because some people believe that gambling and prostitution are wrong, and want to punish it wherever they see it. Particularly religious/conservative groups. There's also a general, pervading belief among many that these actions simply lead to ethical/moral corruption in society.

That's my take on it, anyway.

My opinion? I don't care on a personal level if it's legal or illegal, because I'm not particularly interested in participating anyway. Whatever approach works best for society and the people in it, in the long run is the best one, and I'm not really in a position to see what that is. I just can't tell exactly which policies are possible, and which would hurt or help the people concerned more, because that would be the basis for my decision.

MBTI
    INTP

The situation in America is home based.
    So it is in Russia.

Not in Europe.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Just a small point but if the general populace are soo against prostitutes then how on earth do any of them make any money?

I'm sure that if all this were true then the client base would be particularly small, you know those "undesirable" elements in the community, so how do they manange to make so much money and be in every city in the world (most probably) only serving such a small minority?

Hmm they must side line as seamstresses or something.

Well either that or there's a whole load of people who are their customers but who lie when they are asked about it!!!

(I'm definitely in a cynical mood today. Can you tell?)
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Just a small point but if the general populace are soo against prostitutes then how on earth do any of them make any money?

I'm sure that if all this were true then the client base would be particularly small, you know those "undesirable" elements in the community, so how do they manange to make so much money and be in every city in the world (most probably) only serving such a small minority?

Hmm they must side line as seamstresses or something.

Well either that or there's a whole load of people who are their customers but who lie when they are asked about it!!!

(I'm definitely in a cynical mood today. Can you tell?)
    Never under-estimate the value of a niche market.
    Those who want it, really want it, and will go through a lot of trouble to get it.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Never under-estimate the value of a niche market.
    Those who want it, really want it, and will go through a lot of trouble to get it.
    Oh too true. As a roleplayer I get that. Still it seems a bit of a booming industry for one that supposedly everyone shuns. Many seem a little too certain that they shun it. You know "Me thinks he doth protest too much" kinda thing.

Oberon

In the US today we've got a good illustration of the concept "Pick your poison." Recreational drugs are, generally speaking, harmful to people. Personally I find it hard to get all that upset about pot, however, because I've known lots of folks who used it and nevertheless had good things going on in their lives...middle-aged folks with good jobs. It was hard to see how their social use of weed on a Saturday night was hurting them much, particularly when compared to the effects of, say, alcoholism, which is perfectly legal.

What upsets me much more than pot is that, because of the War on (some) Drugs, every little podunk police force across the country has its own SWAT team, complete with flashbang grenades, M-16 rifles, tactical gear complete with tape to go over the name on the badge, tear gas, and battering rams to get through your front door ASAP... and all on the Federal dime.

It's bad enough that these yahoos get off on serving no-knock dynamic-entry warrants on perps for posession of a dime bag. What really torques me is when they hit the wrong house and spend several hours trashing some innocent bystander's place. When this happens, if the victim is lucky, the team won't plant drugs in the house to legitimize the raid, and the worst they can expect is that they'll have to pay to get the door fixed, they'll face a year or so of comforting the kids every time they wake up with screaming nightmares, and they'll have to go to the pound and get a new dog to replace the one the barneys shot.

Most municipalities have laws set up so that the SWATties are lawsuit-proof more or less, so there's no legal recourse for compensation. Fifty years ago, a police department that authorized this kind of mess would get run out of town on a rail. Today we stand for it.

Why? Half a dozen explanations come to mind, none of them happy.

But this brings us back to my thesis: Pick your poison. Myself, I'd rather put up with the problems caused by de-felonized pot smoking than live in a country where the gestapo can raid your house whenever they decide to do so. Then again, I'm funny that way.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

SWAT teams are funny. We get the shows on American SWAT and Police over here. It's usually better than a clip show

How on earth some of them think they can do the job never mind keep it is quite beyond me.

One thing that never makes any sense is in these raids half of them have AR16 rifles (the M16 is the automatic and I don't think they're allowed those kinds of toys) whilst the other half tote shotguns. Now what kind of battle is that for? Rifles give too much blow through for urban terrain and shotguns are useless when friendlies are getting in the way.

Mind you the way it's going I expect tanks to become standard within the next six months or so

MBTI
    INTP

Today an unknown woman approached me in the street.
    She told me what had happened to her the day before.

It has started again, she said. It happened right here.
    - The place where we are now?
    - Why yes. A man, well dressed. He said I take from you only eighty euro. You can keep the rest, he said. He looked like a real gent.

I went to the store. I heard several people had their wallets stolen.
    - When?
    - Just yesterday.

Then I remembered. Because of the Schengen agreement, Metadon is not for sale any more in Estonia and Latvia.
    Damn the bureaucrats.

Heroin is on the streets again.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

SWAT teams are funny. We get the shows on American SWAT and Police over here. It's usually better than a clip show

How on earth some of them think they can do the job never mind keep it is quite beyond me.

One thing that never makes any sense is in these raids half of them have AR16 rifles (the M16 is the automatic and I don't think they're allowed those kinds of toys) whilst the other half tote shotguns. Now what kind of battle is that for? Rifles give too much blow through for urban terrain and shotguns are useless when friendlies are getting in the way.

Mind you the way it's going I expect tanks to become standard within the next six months or so
    Well, it's a case of incorrect application.

The fact is, the SWAT is intended to take care of situations where that kind of equipment is necessary. They are our force for domestic grown combat situations(if it gets any worse than that, the National Guard steps in). the problem here, is that when nothing exciting is going on, we send the SWAT to do pot raids, even though that's far from reasonable.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Oberon

You're talking about the Armalite AR-15 rifle, which is indeed the semi-auto version of the select-fire M-16. Your average civilian in the US is not permitted to own select-fire weapons without a thorough (and expensive) licensing process, but these weapons are available to police forces. Whether they are extensively used by SWAT teams (as opposed to the semi-auto AR-15 and its variants) is unknown to me.

Overpenetration is not particularly an issue with this class of rifle, however. The .223 cartridge fires a 55- or 60-grain bullet at high velocity, and penetration through walls and so forth is limited at best. As far as shotguns being "...useless when friendlies are getting in the way," that is true for any weapon. However, short-barreled shotguns are highly useful in close-quarters combat, such as for clearing rooms, and are also used for breaching doors. Our military uses shotguns extensively in these roles in urban combat in Iraq.

Regardless, it's not the choice of weapons in particular that I object to... it's that the team and its legal prerogatives exists at all.