User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 44

Thread: Vice

  1. #11
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Secondly, if I recall correctly, illegal prostitution actually increases wherever legal prostitution is.
    I'm curious whether you can explain this one to me? It doesn't make any logical sense to me, and I've heard the opposite.

    Re the OP, I think criminalization is unnecessary and costly, though as a side note it would be nice (though not necessary) to have education about these things in schools if they were legalized. Really I think people should be responsible for themselves anyway, for the most part...

  2. #12
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I'm curious whether you can explain this one to me? It doesn't make any logical sense to me, and I've heard the opposite.

    Re the OP, I think criminalization is unnecessary and costly, though as a side note it would be nice (though not necessary) to have education about these things in schools if they were legalized. Really I think people should be responsible for themselves anyway, for the most part...
    I'm afraid I don't have statistics on hand.
    But it actually makes sense to me.
    Just imagine that it works like food services.
    You can easily run a criminal business, because it's so easy to cover-up the aspects that fail to meet regulations. Ultimately, the owner would want to do this, because it rewards them more to be selfish.
    Now, if something is COMPLETELY illegal, it gets harder to hide, and usually get's heavier punishment then failing to meet standards(but we obviously can't make food service illegal).
    In other words, a pimp gets a better deal when he makes all the rules, and in a place where prostitution is potentially legal, it's much easier for him to look like he's playing by the right rules.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  3. #13
    Per Ardua Metamorphosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    3,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn
    I think it's too risky, complicated and taboo for the government to be involved in gambling and prostitution rings if not for just the reason that the practices are considered unethical to begin with (society's standards).
    They are already involved in some areas. Gaming Control Boards, for instance.

    I don't think any city in America would welcome hookers on their street corners.
    Some already do. They welcome the tax money, too.

    Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye
    At the core of every society is a spoken and unspoken set of moral standards, whether or not everyone comprising the population endorses them. So, prostitution will never be acceptable. Consider that a place like Amsterdam, that has legalized prostitution, only does it to control the STD rate in the country, but not because the society as a whole thinks the practice is okay. Most Dutch citizens think it's repellent.
    I think this is the obvious problem. Essentially blue laws. But what is really wrong with either one? Don't get me wrong...I would never pay for sex...but I wouldn't care if someone else did and most of the people I know gamble on a regular basis.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

    Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

  4. #14
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,122

    Default

    nobody wants to be known as the whore and drug supporting politician!

    I think that legalizing vices would make them cleaner, purer and then we could tax them at at least the same rate that we tax cigarettes, but that would sound immoral of a politician to say- and the politician would probably fear losing the votes of his or her god fearing portions of consituancy!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  5. #15
    Per Ardua Metamorphosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    3,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    nobody wants to be known as the whore and drug supporting politician!

    I think that legalizing vices would make them cleaner, purer and then we could tax them at at least the same rate that we tax cigarettes, but that would sound immoral of a politician to say- and the politician would probably fear losing the votes of his or her god fearing portions of consituancy!
    Exactly. That's the beauty of a republic.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

    Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

  6. #16
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I'm afraid I don't have statistics on hand.
    But it actually makes sense to me.
    Just imagine that it works like food services.
    You can easily run a criminal business, because it's so easy to cover-up the aspects that fail to meet regulations. Ultimately, the owner would want to do this, because it rewards them more to be selfish.
    Now, if something is COMPLETELY illegal, it gets harder to hide, and usually get's heavier punishment then failing to meet standards(but we obviously can't make food service illegal).
    In other words, a pimp gets a better deal when he makes all the rules, and in a place where prostitution is potentially legal, it's much easier for him to look like he's playing by the right rules.
    Thanks for explaining. I see your point now. I'm not sure it would be valid for all scenarios, but at least in theory that makes sense.

    Although it also makes sense, in theory, that if women are free to choose where to operate, they'd tend to gravitate towards places that are safer for them. And that's really the ultimate goal, isn't it? (excluding the morality police aspect of it, anyway). It also seems to me that legal prostitution would dramatically reduce the number and power of pimps in operation...because women would no longer need to depend on them for protection, at least to the same degree.

    Also, if all the money/time/personnel that are invested currently into prohibiting prostitution were instead invested into regulation of the industry, and if steep fines were set into place for people found breaking the rules, I think it would more than make up for it.

  7. #17
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Thanks for explaining. I see your point now. I'm not sure it would be valid for all scenarios, but at least in theory that makes sense.

    Although it also makes sense, in theory, that if women are free to choose where to operate, they'd tend to gravitate towards places that are safer for them. And that's really the ultimate goal, isn't it? (excluding the morality police aspect of it, anyway).

    Also, if all the money/time/personnel that are invested currently into prohibiting prostitution were instead invested into regulation of the industry, and if steep fines were set into place for people found breaking the rules, I think it would more than make up for it.

    Perhaps.

    But considering the state of business in this country, I think the female employees would be at the bottom of the food chain and I doubt they'd get to decide much of anything. They might be just as bad off as they are now.

    Another concern is the kind of mentality this breeds. Male prostitutes are such a minority, especially in the big businesses, I just wonder how accepting prostitution would effect feminism. Somehow I doubt people will gain respect for prostitutes. They'll probably just lose respect for women.

    If we do maintain a ban on prostitution, one radical change must be made.
    We must stop harassing prostitutes, and start putting way more effort into jailing pimps.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  8. #18
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Perhaps.

    But considering the state of business in this country, I think the female employees would be at the bottom of the food chain and I doubt they'd get to decide much of anything. They might be just as bad off as they are now.

    Another concern is the kind of mentality this breeds. Male prostitutes are such a minority, especially in the big businesses, I just wonder how accepting prostitution would effect feminism. Somehow I doubt people will gain respect for prostitutes. They'll probably just lose respect for women.

    If we do maintain a ban on prostitution, one radical change must be made.
    We must stop harassing prostitutes, and start putting way more effort into jailing pimps.
    That's probably true. It's more of an issue with our society than prostitution itself, though, and it's something that would have to be considered if the industry were to be legalized. And the current situation is hardly beneficial for the women at the 'bottom of the food chain'. It's a case of choosing the better scenario rather than a perfect one.

    And at the heart of it, I just don't like the idea of the government outlawing consensual actions that don't harm other people.

  9. #19
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    If we do maintain a ban on prostitution, one radical change must be made.
    We must stop harassing prostitutes, and start putting way more effort into jailing pimps.
    Because pimps are anymore guilty than the hookers? They're both after $ by means of illegal operation. Put heftier penalties on them all. A hooker will be in and out of the system, as well as on the street, in most likely the same day.

  10. #20
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    Because pimps are anymore guilty than the hookers? They're both after $ by means of illegal operation. Put heftier penalties on them all. A hooker will be in and out of the system, as well as on the street, in most likely the same day.
    I think many of the prostitutes are desperate and mostly innocent girls.
    I think they deserve more of a chance.
    The pimps are worse because they're pulling the strings. They get the most benefits, they are the root of the operations, they terrorize their own whores.
    The pimps are real bastards. The prostitutes are just misguided pawns.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

Similar Threads

  1. What's Your Vice?
    By RiderOnTheStorm in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 11-25-2017, 09:31 PM
  2. Replies: 106
    Last Post: 07-15-2013, 09:30 PM
  3. NTs understanding of NFs and vice - versa
    By Gauche in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 03-02-2009, 12:41 PM
  4. Your fail-proof way of distinguishing S from N and vice versa
    By Moiety in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 98
    Last Post: 01-19-2009, 09:24 PM
  5. Palin not ready for interviews, but ready for the vice presidency?
    By ajblaise in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 09-07-2008, 10:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO