User Tag List

First 34567 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Obviously the answer is no. This is a public service and thus preventing it from being taped contradicts that aspect and it would be inredibly hard to enfore. Also, police are authorities, people trusted with power, and people in those positions must not have the ability to condemn scrutiny of their actions.

But really no one is actually talking about making taping police illegal. The issue here is instead about ridiculous intepretations of a different law. It's really a whole other kind of matter.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Taping the police should be encouraged. This thing with the motorcyclist is troubling for what it portends.

The incident is part of the larger recoil of American culture, into a more conservative and selfish beast than it already is. Look at the rising tides of racism and zenophobia. Just wait until the economy suffers a major setback...that will precipitate serious social upheaval and domestic violence.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I can imagine a really weird scenario in which its illegal for the police to film the public but the public can film the police. No rights for anyone on the job.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I can imagine a really weird scenario in which its illegal for the police to film the public but the public can film the police. No rights for anyone on the job.
    Police work is a pretty special case; people's civil rights are at stake, not to mention life and limb.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Sounds like the cops tried to find some legal consequence for his pride suffering. Man. I wish I could do that every time that happened.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Police work is a pretty special case; people's civil rights are at stake, not to mention life and limb.
    Yeah, maybe instead of filming the cops people should help them by filming the people they're bringing to justice.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Does anyone know of any good or recent research or books into media used in this way? I mean what are the sociological or psychological consequences of this pervasive surveillance which, well, everyone is involved in?

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Yeah, maybe instead of filming the cops people should help them by filming the people they're bringing to justice.
    I have no problem with filming both. As I mentioned before, an accurate record of events can only help the courts to do justice.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I have no problem with filming both. As I mentioned before, an accurate record of events can only help the courts to do justice.
    Well, here's hoping it doesnt become an obsticle to law enforcement, you know, trying to apply law in an imperfect world is going to fall short of the perfectionist views of most of the public.

Also wouldnt want to see trial by media replace trial by jury.