User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I don't think that videotaping policemen doing police work should be a crime, specifically because the court and the public have a vested interest in an accurate record of events.

That's a far cry from declaring that technology is a panacea for anything. As for teachers and social workers in the UK, I really don't care. I don't trust either public schools or social services in the US any further than I can throw them.
    Another entire post anticipated. Done and done.

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I meant that I'm both academic and completely redneck, if that makes sense to you.
    OK, yeah, I know what you're saying. I meant besides the point or without a serious consideration of its application to reality when I said academic.

Listen, your views about the public filming the authorities are totally in sync with the US anti-state meme, which is pretty much where I see all your posts coming from, which is also fine but its a pretty narrow view.

Its part of the reason I attempted to contrast the filming of legitimate, properly constituted authorities with criminal "governors", I suspect from what you've posted since that its less about wanting to get a clear picture of public servants at work than putting pressure on social agents which you admitted hate.

Bye for now.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

No, definitely not.
    I read up on this on Cracked.com - it had an interesting article on the 'Top 5 Ways Cops Can Screw You Over' something or other.

Pros of videotaping our authorities:
    -reveals the goods and bads of policework.
    In general, awareness is key in todays world. The internet and world of cell phones enhance this and keep public awareness alive. (i.e. the Iranian election some months ago)
    -it's entertaining.
    People LOVE to see police work at its best and worst. Cops, for example. And there's this video on youtube of a cop beating up a skateboarder. His friends recorded it and put it on youtube. the cop faced lawsuits.

The Cons of videotaping our authorities:
    -it makes Cops look like tyrants. it also has the power to make them look good.

The pros definitely outweigh the cons. Plus, would it fit in today's world to make a move so medieval as banning the video taping of our authorities? No, that's honestly ridiculous.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Its part of the reason I attempted to contrast the filming of legitimate, properly constituted authorities with criminal "governors", I suspect from what you've posted since that its less about wanting to get a clear picture of public servants at work than putting pressure on social agents which you admitted hate.
    Lumpy grammar aside, the word is "mistrust," not "hate." I believe that society has a vested interested in keeping public servants honest, and your insinuations about who I am and why I speak as I do neither sway nor impress me.

EDIT: The title of the OP is "Should videotaping the police really be a crime?". My answer is "No," and I have explained why. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Banned
    MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    A motorcycle is a dangerous weapon. I don't blame the cop for brandishing a gun especially when he never pointed the gun at the motorcyclist. Yeah, he probably should of said "state police" first thing, but in the heat of the moment I can understand him trying to get rid of the current threat to his safety before establishing his authority. Anyway he still says state police within 3 seconds of brandishing his gun.
    Please don't take what I'm about to say as if it was directed towards you, I don't
    know if you're strongly tied to your opinion, but I had to give my response to the
    context of your post. This is how I look at the situation / topic: I don't give a shit.

No uniform means no authority.

I'm military, with military authority, and that means that I cannot walk around without
    my uniform on waving my guns around. If I do, civilians might be get a scare, and the
    police or military might mistake me for somebody else and shoot me down.

If I was not wearing my uniform, it would mean that I was off duty, and off duty means
    that the police is well within their right to arrest me. But only if they have uniforms on
    themselves. If they do not have uniforms on, then I can flip the coin as well and go
    "Well, fuuuuuck youuuu. I'm military!"

I've several times had to point a loaded weapon at the police on duty in the past,
    because they are dumb and think civil laws > military laws.

I can arrest the police if they are on military property breaking military laws, and they
    can arrest me if I walk around town breaking civil laws. I've had one arrest in the past;
    Cop who lacked common sense and had no knowledge in law.

Gun direction and shouting that you "could" be the police is not the case here. Charging
    someone without a uniform on is the case.

If you stepped too close to our military base (but did not know it) and I came charging
    at you with my MP5 (no uniform on), how would you react? It would most certainly be
    the same reaction this civilian got when some random moron came jumping out of a car
    waving his gun around.

If you want to support chaos, then support this stupid "undercover" police officer.

In MY opinion, this police officer should be stripped off his license to carry arms, and not
    be allowed to practice law any more. If I did that shit I would be kicked out of the military
    and imprisoned in an instant, and it would serve me right.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

This is FUCKING sick.
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yr-bFShQ0o&feature=related"]Brazilian Police kill a man in broad daylight[/YOUTUBE]

How about the Rodney King case?

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4xjaWjipZs"]Cop Kicking Ass[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2nM37vwYeo&feature=related"]cop beats up innocent person[/YOUTUBE]

I mean seriously people, you want to live a life where you're sheltered from seeing and hearing about these things? Why would anyone want to be so blind. A lot of cops are assholes. A lot of cops are just. But wouldn't you want the truth instead of pretending to be happy behind a wall of lies?
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Banned

Should videotaping the police really be a crime?
    No.

If they ain't breaking the law themselves they got nothing to fear now do they?
    If you catch a berserking pig on tape you should be rewarded for being an upstanding citizen, not prosecuted IMO.

This makes no sense to me, it's way too George Orwell for my mind to comprehend.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

We'd be playing the same game as the Soviets or Nazi Germany with their Secret Police forces.

Don't you think that if it was made a crime that it would only strengthen corruption and tyranny in the police force? Yes. That's what the cops want. they want corruption, and guns, and bloodshed, and power.

Banned
    MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    5w4

And another thing! Videotaping the nations security (military) and videotaping civil protection are two completely different things. If you videotape the nations security, then you're going to get bit in the ass for leaking security protocols. Civil protection is not the same thing as security. NO harm can possibly come from videotaping civil protection, and NO crime could possibly be commited. Civil protection is a service to the people, to civilians. If these police officers cannot be in a service profession then maybe they should reconsider being police officers and join the military instead.

garbage

How is this being classified as a 'crime' reconciled with the fact that there are cameras set up by authorities to catch citizens' crimes?