User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Eh, no, I have plenty of callouses, you need to look at the torture devices women call shoes sometime.
    Oh fuck.

Well, you could aspire to become a velociraptor. Look at those nimble little feetsies!

MBTI
    ISFJ

I believe in equality. Complete equality. Everything I'd say or do to a man, I'd do or say to a woman (well, apart from romance).

I dislike any positive bias toward women or chivalry because they kill equality and impartiality.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

What about if women want to be chivalrous toward men sometimes? Or toward each other?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    Nature and nurture is a false dichotomy. Nurture occurs within nature and abides by natural law. So does gender.
    Fair enough. The point i'm trying to make is that gender roles like passivity in women and toughness in men are not inherent qualities of the gender to which they are assigned. They are socialized and that socialization process abides by natural law (ie. how the human brain works). Do you agree or disagree with this assessment?

Fuck i just can't keep up with this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    What about if women want to be chivalrous toward men sometimes? Or toward each other?
    i think everyone should just extend courtesy to everyone. problem solved!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Introverted Feeling (46.7)
    Extraverted Intuition (45.7)
    Introverted Intuition (37.5)
    Introverted Thinking(26.5)
    Extraverted Feeling (25.4)
    Extraverted Thinking (22.1)
    Extraverted Sensing (19.5)
    Introverted Sensing (17.0)

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I'm talking about the expectation placed on men to be chivalrous.

I can be nice to people. Your gender won't influence if I'm nice or not towards you.

Nature and nurture is a false dichotomy.
    I didn't present it as a dichotomy. This is what I said previously:

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    We're leaving behind the influence that nature provided us with, and jumping moreso into the realm of nurture.
    As in, when you talk about gender, the influence of "nature" is already assumed. So, let's move beyond the obvious, to the next big influence - that of nurture.

Nurture occurs within nature and abides by natural law.
    Natural law? Humans were not "naturally" [in this I allude to evolution] meant to take care of their kids, even when they are 50 years old, jobless and living in their basement.

Again, you're playing with words without addressing the main point.

So does gender.
    Explain please, exactly how gender is natural? I.e., what are the actual aspects of this concept you call "natural"? What is the operational definition for your idea of "natural"?

What does one have to contain to be deemed a "natural woman"? [note, not female, but woman - as we're talking of a psycho-SOCIAL term called gender, not sex]

(please don't Youtube link me the song as a response )

Quote Originally Posted by Fan.of.Townsend View Post
    I do, but, I am most certainly not.
    I'm no more a "feminist" than I am a "masculinist".
    If I am anything, I am an "anti-sexist"...
    I would enjoy hearing an explanation as to why a supposed doctrine of equality is named after one sex rather than both or neither.
    Well, either equality exists in perfection,

OR....there is inequality......

....there's this important social construct that is a reality in many ways and conducts of our society.....

....it is called gender......

....now, if we could sum up as a generalization, between which of the two genders, there are still more barriers in society.....we get two sides with a power imbalance between them....

....then we choose to focus on the side that is lower on the power imbalance scale [to see what will help lift them up, to allow for a balance to occur, or at least, less ideally, a progress in the direction of balance rather than in the direction of further imbalance]......

....in most socieities, esp. patriarchal societies, the lower side is.....

......women.

....thus feminism is born.

Quote Originally Posted by eagleseven View Post
    It may surprise you, but those who commit violence against women also often commit violence against men. I don't see how emphasizing the women who are attacked will do anything to prevent violent people from being violent.
    For example, there are very different dynamics at play in intimate romantic relationships than others.

Domestic violence has a whole gamut of psychological issues that does not pertain to other types of victims of violence.

This is not to say that the violence against men should not be voiced, they most certainly should. As should the violence against women.

But, to stop there, without seeing a situation for its own unique issues and needs, i.e., through its own lens, is short-sighted, especially when disparities does exist. As such, taking up such issues with the woman's perspective in mind, is what feminism is focused on. This doesn't negate the feminist from still standing up for male victims of violence.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INT-

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    Well, either equality exists in perfection,

OR....there is inequality......

....there's this important social construct that is a reality in many ways and conducts of our society.....

....it is called gender......

....now, if we could sum up as a generalization, between which of the two genders, there are still more barriers in society.....we get two sides with a power imbalance between them....

....then we choose to focus on the side that is lower on the power imbalance scale [to see what will help lift them up, to allow for a balance to occur, or at least, less ideally, a progress in the direction of balance rather than in the direction of further imbalance]......

....in most socieities, esp. patriarchal societies, the lower side is.....

......women.

....thus feminism is born.
    Men have as many prejudice disadvantages in modern society as do women, they just happen to be different ones.
    INTP 4w5 SX/SP
    Tritype 4/5/8

Quote Originally Posted by Fan.of.Townsend View Post
    Men have as many prejudice disadvantages in modern society as do women, they just happen to be different ones.
    How do you know this?