User Tag List

123 Last

Question Is money a necessary evil?

Can we move beyond capitalism towards a better form of economic system, or is capitalism the best we can have?

Can an economy function without money? Can we move beyond the market and have a cashless society in the future? If you think money is a necessary evil, please explain why.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

I don't think money is a necessary evil. That would require money to be evil to begin with.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    INTP

I think money is a useful good. Cash is far more liquid than goods, and as such allows for far easier trade. Trade has to occur, for people to be able to get more than they can produce themselves, and money makes it easier.

As for moving to a "better system" than capitalism, I fail to see what is wrong with capitalism that would require moving to a better system in the first place.

I think the question you are asking is "is desire a necessary evil?", with the presumption that money is the root of desire. I do not think this is the case.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

The problem isn't money itself, the problem is the humans handling the money.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I don't think that the problem is with either money or capitalism.

If there is any problem it is with corporations, but this problem is in the process of being corrected. We are in the beginnings of a process where corporations are going to become smaller but more numerous. It will still take some time for the giant outdated dinosaurs to become extinct.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTx

Money isn't evil. There needs to be a system to track the relative value that society owes an individual (or viceversa), and this worth needs to be in both fairly liquid and secure. Otherwise it's impossible to allocate resources properly without some sort of government rationing or something, which cannot possibly micromanage individual needs and wants in an acceptable fashion.

Systems can have flaws for sure, but that's a much more complicated problem than blaming in on "money". You have to ferret out the systems that do not work and correct them.

Can modern society function without money? No. To do so would require that either everyone get everything they want, which is impossible, or people forfiet their ability to purchase the items they prefer and accept what they are given, which is possible but highly undesirable.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

If we were to get rid of money, wouldn't bartering be our only other option? Would that really improve society?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

It wouldn't be all that fun to carry around bags of rice and useful things until we found someone who wanted our goods AND had something to trade. Plus then 90% of the day would be spent trying to find someone to exchange goods. And taxes would be impossible - which some might like, but it'd make modern society impossible.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTJ

As others have said, money isn't evil.

Regarding capitalism, it is in our biology to trade. We are not ants, and cannot physically function well in a collective.

Unless you can bio-mechanically or genetically engineer a more subservient human, we will not develop an effective alternative to capitalism.

---

We can, however, and do make more efficient capitalist systems.

MBTI
    INTj

Money is evil, dangerous and immoral. Fortunately, I have the means to dispose of it if you send me yours.