User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post
    It sort of does that right now. The buying power of a given unit of currency gradually erodes owing to inflation. This discourages people from use hoarding money uselessly - they'll either invest it and recycle the wealth into the system, or buy things.
    Hmm, maybe, this was more of a spend it or lose it kind of deal, not a devaluation one but I know what you mean.

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    5w6

GREED taken too far is evil. Money is just a made up tool for bartering. Tools aren't evil, its the wielder of the tool that gives it its purpose. Instead of trading product for product (fur pelts, oils, etc) we trade money (a made up product) for product. Honestly, I think we in America screwed up when we went away from the gold standard to back our dollar.

You see a lot of rich people buying their way out of trouble. You see a lot of poor people turning to crime due to the lack of money. Then you see a lot of people giving their money to charity, improving the community, helping people out. You see poor people who manage their money wisely and even if they're just scraping buy, still manage to do okay and give to others.

Money isn't good or evil, it simply is. Its how people choose to use and acquire the money that makes for good and evil. But as always, we try to blame inanimate objects for the flaws in ourselves and therefore our society (what with the individual being the foundational unit of a society, and all).
    "People in glass houses shouldn't use Windex when living near bird sanctuaries."- myself

"We are never alone my friend. We are constantly in the company of victories, losses, strengths and weaknesses. Make no mistake, life is war...and war is hell. Those who fight the hardest will suffer the most...but that's what you have to do: Fight. As long as you're feeling pain, then there's hope...because only the dead do not suffer." -RD Metcalf
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oberon

I had a curious insight today, namely: "wealth" = "options." When you can decide the course of your life based on a variety of choices, you are wealthy. When circumstances dictate the course of your life, you are poor. This is the chief utility in an abundance of money... it provides you with the freedom to make choices as you please, which is the real measure of wealth. And based on this measure, one can actually be poor despite abundant money or other possessions.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Evil, no.
    Necessary, no.

I do however think it is a crying shame the way money is often used. It used to be that the charging of interest was considered usury and morally shady. I wish we could get back to that mindset. To those who would claim that the charging of interest is the only way to fuel growth, I answer: use your imaginations. Sheesh. There are so many possibilities it makes my brain ache to see things like that being said.

The thing I dislike the most is that we aren't allotted a place to simply exist to call our own. For this "privilege" we are required to submit to demeaning labor so that we may shovel money into the bottomless pit called rent. Ah, to live in a world where I could build a shelter for myself without being labeled a criminal..
    "If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see."
    Thoreau

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Chunes View Post
    The thing I dislike the most is that we aren't allotted a place to simply exist to call our own. For this "privilege" we are required to submit to demeaning labor so that we may shovel money into the bottomless pit called rent. Ah, to live in a world where I could build a shelter for myself without being labeled a criminal..
    Well hell, why not a world that provides us food and clothing gratis too, while we're at it?

MBTI
    yupp

yes money is necessary.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Well hell, why not a world that provides us food and clothing gratis too, while we're at it?
    You must have misunderstood me. I'm not asking for handouts. I only ask for a base from which I can retain the fruits of my own labor. Surely that's fair.
    "If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see."
    Thoreau

Oberon

You must have misunderstood me. I'm not asking for handouts. I only ask for a base from which I can retain the fruits of my own labor. Surely that's fair.
    You say you're not asking for handouts... but the land on which you would live already belongs to someone, as do the materials out of which you would build your home. Are the current owners supposed to simply give you these things?

Children get housing for free, along with their food and clothing. Adults pay their way.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    You say you're not asking for handouts... but the land on which you would live already belongs to someone, as do the materials out of which you would build your home. Are the current owners supposed to simply give you these things?
    I suspect that if they don't, and soon, they'll learn the hard way that to retain these things will be far more costly.
    Thoreau

Oberon

I suspect that if they don't, and soon, they'll learn the hard way that to retain these things will be far more costly.
    So they'll turn over the stuff if they know what's good for 'em. I get it.

Me, I side with Clint: Get off my lawn.