User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    This.

I've wondered about this before. Many of our poor live in far better conditions than normal people in other countries (standard of living wise). The problem is that with industrialization and urbanization it becomes more difficult for a poor person to be self sufficient, whereas poor farmers/herders in other nations can still survive with little problem.

It all really boils down to "lack of resources + over population = conflict" until the balance is brought back into place.

What exactly what it mean to end poverty? Does it mean that we can provide for an unlimited number of people?
    end of homelessless.
    end of starvation.
    Perhaps good health care and well fed.
    Enough clean food and water.

thank you for the recommendation Haight. I have that book myself.
    But I want to look at it at a scientific perspective, rather than economic solutions. I believe that science and technology can help us put an end to poverty.
    I don't think that poverty is eliminated at first world countries.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

MBTI
    INTj

I'm not following.

Poverty is an economic issue. Science and technology would fall under the economic sphere when one is discussing the issue of poverty.

What am I missing?
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    Is it possible?

What sort of innovation would be necessary to eliminate poverty?
    As paradoxical as it may sound, if we can figure out a way to make money out of eliminating poverty.......

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    As paradoxical as it may sound, if we can figure out a way to make money out of eliminating poverty.......
    It's called microlending, and all the major international banks are already doing it.

The Promise of Microfinance, Proquest CSA Discovery Guides

Quote Originally Posted by eagleseven View Post
    It's called microlending, and all the major international banks are already doing it.
    Awesome (kind of heard of this before)!

Thanks for the link!

The concept actually sounds sustainable [as it is self-sufficient], which is . AND, [likely corrupt] governments are kept out of it/or their part kept to a minimum.

Now the only imminent fear is corruption at the base level, through exploitation once these poorest of the poor are handed with "assests" [you know, local goons coming to collect interests, or their cut].

I hope there's a proactive, continued regulation for communities financed by such programs. They said that's one issue that they're hoping to focus more on - as a lot of community-base programs are somewhat unregulated.

It's an awesome program in progress - now let's hope for principle [and policy] to practice.

To note its limitations:

Critics suggest that microcredit by itself is ineffective at targeting the poorest, and it may also be at odds with public welfare programs, so its role should be limited to the informal sector.
    I think an interdisciplinary approach could be the key to this hurdle.

The investors have intermittent teatime with social workers, peace workers, local governing counsels, the locals (men AND women), healthcare workers, engineers without borders, etc. Anyone working their own niche to build up such communities, get together to figure out the most efficient way to keep this program afloat. To not only lend to individuals, but, give a loan to communities as a whole to pump out a certain profit. Amalgamate, say farmland, for maximum profit, and maximum use of potential workers in that catchment area.

Once this concept really takes off, and has enough time for significantly allowable retrospective analysis, I have no doubt positive results will show.

What an idea!

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    I'm not following.

Poverty is an economic issue. Science and technology would fall under the economic sphere when one is discussing the issue of poverty.

What am I missing?
    Absolutely, I dont understand how science or technology can exist independently of the economy.

I'm also not understanding how by your own measure of what constitutes poverty that you can consider it to be in existence in the developed world.

There's an X-Men novella that I know of in which Dr Doom has eradicated homelessness for instance, although he did it by giving the homeless the option to either be housed or executed.

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lasting_Pain View Post
    Poverty Facts and Stats — Global Issues.

I think this puts poverty into perspective.

Also in the words of Gordon Gecko "Greed is Good" which i guess begs the question "What about generosity?"
    Thank you for this link - I will be sharing this with friends and colleagues.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by eagleseven View Post

and thanks for this eagleseven - I had read about Muhammad Yunus and his success in establishing the Grameen Bank but stupidly had not bookmarked it to forward on to others.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Oberon

Poverty could be ended if everyone, everywhere led a life like that at a boarding school... the entire day planned, meals served at the dining halls at prescribed times, limited free time and lights out at 10 PM. There'd be no poverty because there'd be no need for the average person to have money, beyond a small amount for a snack or a soda.

Come to think of it, this is a lot like how prisons operate.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Poverty could be ended if everyone, everywhere led a life like that at a boarding school... the entire day planned, meals served at the dining halls at prescribed times, limited free time and lights out at 10 PM. There'd be no poverty because there'd be no need for the average person to have money, beyond a small amount for a snack or a soda.

Come to think of it, this is a lot like how prisons operate.
    I'm not sure I'd say that's poverty relief or eradication but I know the point you are trying to make.