User Tag List

First 816171819 Last

You're attempting to duck my question by using a logical fallacy. Not going to work. Be specific with universal levels of potable water. How much water does a bedoin subsist on and what is a bedoin's level of microbe tolerance? Apply same to an American.

If I agree with your values, I earn your respect. Cut the bullshit.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    You're attempting to duck my question by using a logical fallacy. Not going to work. Be specific with universal levels of potable water. How much water does a bedoin subsist on and what is a bedoin's level of microbe tolerance? Apply same to an American.

If I agree with your values, I earn your respect. Cut the bullshit.
    All right, if it's an absolute standard you want, it's an absolute standard you'll get.

I direct your attention to the US Environmental Protection Agency's drinking water standards.

This is a PDF file and it's rather lengthy, but it provides a detailed account of what the US government says potable water is. For the purpose of my discussion, it's as good an answer as any... and your Bedouin is poor by any standard.

Oberon

Oh, about this...

You're attempting to duck my question by using a logical fallacy.
    ...no, I wasn't. I was pointing out that there are people in the world dying because there's shit in their water, and there are people in the world who aren't. The fact that there are shades of meaning in between does NOT imply that there's no difference between the two.

Not every country needs the same water standards as the U.S. Most urban Americans would die with the level of what's considered potable in many other countries. Same goes for the amount of caloric intake that Americans live on.

Travel a little before you throw down the bullshit. The U.S. consumerish way isn't the only way to live and can't be used to gauge global standards of poverty.

Oberon

Not every country needs the same water standards as the U.S. Most urban Americans would die with the level of what's considered potable in many other countries. Same goes for the amount of caloric intake that Americans live on.

Travel a little before you throw down the bullshit. The U.S. consumerish way isn't the only way to live and can't be used to gauge global standards of poverty.
    You asked for a standard; I gave you one. You can pick your own if you like. Perhaps Chad or Mali have water standards.

Honestly, I'm rather at a loss as to why we're disagreeing over so simple a point. Can we not agree that, no matter where one lives, there is a level of resources that supports human survival, and a level of resources that does not? The exact set of numbers will vary some from place to place, but it is nonetheless different from the kind of poverty in which a family can't afford to buy new tires for the car.

Why is this a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    You asked for a standard; I gave you one. You can pick your own if you like. Perhaps Chad or Mali have water standards.
    Wrong. I asked for universal standards.

Honestly, I'm rather at a loss as to why we're disagreeing over so simple a point. Can we not agree that, no matter where one lives, there is a level of resources that supports human survival, and a level of resources that does not? The exact set of numbers will vary some from place to place, but it is nonetheless different from the kind of poverty in which a family can't afford to buy new tires for the car.

Why is this a problem?
    My point is that poverty is subjective and will never go away due to global relativity.

Oberon

Wrong. I asked for universal standards.

My point is that poverty is subjective and will never go away due to global relativity.
    ...but it could be possible, hypothetically, to reach a point at which nobody's life would end for lack of resources.

This would represent a milestone and a major victory in the fight against poverty, if it were possible.

...but it could be possible, hypothetically, to reach a point at which nobody's life would end for lack of resources.

This would represent a milestone and a major victory in the fight against poverty, if it were possible.
    That's an ethical stance, one that I'm not going to comment on and not because I agree or disagree, although juxtaposed against biological imperative, it's not a reality that aligns.

Oberon

That's an ethical stance, one that I'm not going to comment on and not because I agree or disagree, although juxtaposed against biological imperative, it's not a reality that aligns.
    All right then... take away the bit about "milestone" and "major victory"... do you agree that, in theory at least, and given wise and benevolent distributions of resources, it might be possible to one day reach a point at which nobody dies for lack of resources?

EDIT: I just noticed that we seem to be playing a "cat and mouse" game.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

EDIT: I just noticed that we seem to be playing a "cat and mouse" game.
    Nice!
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/