User Tag List

First 31112131415 Last

MBTI
    INTP

It must be my youthful vigor then, what with the camping during heat waves, torrential downpours, and cold spells alike. You would be surprised at what a blanket and a marked increase in water uptake can do for excessive cold and heat, respectively.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    It must be my youthful vigor then, what with the camping during heat waves, torrential downpours, and cold spells alike. You would be surprised at what a blanket and a marked increase in water uptake can do for excessive cold and heat, respectively.
    No. I wouldn't.

And there's a difference between what you'll put up with on a camping trip and what actually constitutes adequate housing.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Seriously?

We couldnt do that over here, I always figured the US would be the more hands off too, what with never having signed up to the UN convention on the child in part because of the social services investment it could warrant (the other issues being to do with child soldiers in theatres of conflict).

Although that said if in the UK someone wasnt bothering to heat their home and there where other indicators or neglectful, rough living then there could be a case.
    I personally wouldn't want to risk it. It's really hit and miss here and there are strange factors at work having to do with funding and the likelihood of placing children in adoptive homes from what I understand. If you had, for example, one or two white children under the ages of six with no special needs and you were unable to heat your home in the winter I wouldn't bet in favor of a person keeping those kids.

However, we do have a program that subsidizes heat expenses for low-income families, so oftentimes if a home lacks heat, there are other factors at work than lack of money.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP

I would imagine that, given the advantage of insulated walls, 100% controllable shade, roofing, etc. a house would be significantly easier to fortify against some of the more lethal weather phenomena like heat waves.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Different people around the world have different temperature tolerances. How is that for relative poverty?
    Well, if you need to "tolerate" something, the situation must already be suboptimal.

I would imagine that, given the advantage of insulated walls, 100% controllable shade, roofing, etc. a house would be significantly easier to fortify against some of the more lethal weather phenomena like heat waves.
    Of course, however you need money for that - perfectly insulated houses are much more expensive than comparable houses which aren't that well-insulated.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I personally wouldn't want to risk it. It's really hit and miss here and there are strange factors at work having to do with funding and the likelihood of placing children in adoptive homes from what I understand. If you had, for example, one or two white children under the ages of six with no special needs and you were unable to heat your home in the winter I wouldn't bet in favor of a person keeping those kids.

However, we do have a program that subsidizes heat expenses for low-income families, so oftentimes if a home lacks heat, there are other factors at work than lack of money.
    When I think about it there is more similarity than I first thought, I would say that the final paragraph is true for here too, when I did work as a field social worker from time to time we would get vindictive reports from the community, people who may not like their neighbours, about families who spent their benefits on other things and we'd have to work out whether the children where really suffering or not. Not an easy or simple task by any stretch though.

MBTI
    ENTP

Human nature must change in order for poverty to end. Not in 10 % 20 % ..but 100% of the people. Which is highly unlikely.

How many of you actually live in a poor country?

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    but the houses in poverty neighborhoods are old and in bad repair.
    they are houses where the shingles have been falling off the roof for decades, and the windows are leaky, and the wiring is bad or outdated.... all of those things cost money.

a lot of times the real problem is that these are houses which have been in bad repair for 50 and more years - so to fix them now would be much much more expensive than normal. so the houses just continue to languish, and every year it become even more prohibitively expensive to repair them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Seriously?

We couldnt do that over here, I always figured the US would be the more hands off too, what with never having signed up to the UN convention on the child in part because of the social services investment it could warrant (the other issues being to do with child soldiers in theatres of conflict).

Although that said if in the UK someone wasnt bothering to heat their home and there where other indicators or neglectful, rough living then there could be a case.
    social services in the USA tries very hard to be active and involved and hands-on, but ends up having too much working against them. they are understaffed in a lot of places, spread way too thin. and then in a lot of neighborhoods where they are really needed, people work against them or try to confuse and sabotage them. i have seen that a lot, people in the neighborhood who hate soc services and work against them - or people who appreciate what soc services is trying to do but think that problems should be dealt with by the neighborhood. social services has to deal with so much pride and deception. a lot of times they don't have a clear picture, or else they do have a full picture but are so tied down that they are unable to do what needs to be done.
    there are so many conflicting things going on that there end up being 5 sides to every story.

in my neighborhood growing up, there were some houses where it was just 5 or 6 kids living together without adults, in pretty bad conditions usually, and the oldest kid in the house was the 'parent'.
    but it is such a messy and complicated situation - sometimes in some ways the kids living without parents are living better off than other kids in the neighborhood, and of course they are much much worse off in some ways.
    it is real hard to get your hands around the situation.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

hey guys, this is coming really FAR out of left field, but here is a definition for you…….

poverty is sweeping the roaches off your toilet before you sit down,
    and slamming the pictures on your wall to kill the roach swarms behind them.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    hey guys, this is coming really FAR out of left field, but here is a definition for you…….

poverty is sweeping the roaches off your toilet before you sit down,
    and slamming the pictures on your wall to kill the roach swarms behind them.
    I've been there!
    Go to sleep, iguana.