User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    True... but I would make my list of criteria the first priority, and addressing relative poverty a secondary concern.
    I'm pretty sure there's enough excess personal wealth in the first world nations to meet that standard for pretty much everyone in the world. It would just be a matter of distributiing it somehow. This is why I say it's a completely social problem. If the behavior of human beings up and changed one day, and people actually decided to go along with doing that, poverty would be gone, simple as that. Not that I expect people to do that.

I find the standards about living temperature funny though. I've spent my entire life living in winters below 60 degrees and often summers above 90. I guess I'm experiencing absolute poverty.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I find the standards about living temperature funny though. I've spent my entire life living in winters below 60 degrees and often summers above 90. I guess I'm experiencing absolute poverty.
    If those temperatures are typical inside the house where you live, then you could make a pretty good case for it.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

If those temperatures are typical inside the house where you live, then you could make a pretty good case for it.
    Yeah, I agree. It's also detrimental to mental activity.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Different people around the world have different temperature tolerances. How is that for relative poverty?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Different people around the world have different temperature tolerances. How is that for relative poverty?
    If you can't keep the inside of your house above 60 degrees in the winter, it probably means your house is in bad shape or your gas got turned off. If your house is above 90 degrees in the summer, it probably means you can't even afford a small window air conditioner or your electricity is shut off.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP

Humans are renowned for their adaptability. Part of me wants to just laugh at the notion and impart some details. Keeping the average American household energized takes an average of 1,000 watts or so (over one whole year)

That is the equivalent of having more than 40 servants working for you (75 watts per laborer for 8 hours would require 3 full shifts of 13-14 servants per shift), every day.

Even if I was starving to death, had no health care, no transportation, no material wealth aside from a home, I would still be an incredibly powerful, influential person, commanding so many people, just to keep my room lit, my internets working, and my room modestly temperate.

I am one powerful bastard and I don't even have any actual wealth. Its hard for me to see temperature standards, of all things, in the same league as poverty.
    Last edited by Beargryllz; 08-18-2010 at 03:56 PM. Reason: clarity

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Yeah, I agree. It's also detrimental to mental activity.
    So I observe.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    I am one powerful bastard and I don't even have any actual wealth. Its hard for me to see temperature standards, of all things, in the same league as poverty.
    Well, no problem then... drop the temperature standards if you like. It won't keep me from believing that if you are in danger of fatal hypothermia in the winter in your own home, or if someone in your family dies during the next heat wave, you don't have adequate shelter.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Well, no problem then... drop the temperature standards if you like. It won't keep me from believing that if you are in danger of fatal hypothermia in the winter in your own home, or if someone in your family dies during the next heat wave, you don't have adequate shelter.
    I agree and also, if you happen to have kids and your local child protective services organization learns of your home's climate control issues, it's not terribly unlikely they will seize said children on grounds of neglect or dependency.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I agree and also, if you happen to have kids and your local child protective services organization learns of your home's climate control issues, it's not terribly unlikely they will seize said children on grounds of neglect or dependency.
    Seriously?

We couldnt do that over here, I always figured the US would be the more hands off too, what with never having signed up to the UN convention on the child in part because of the social services investment it could warrant (the other issues being to do with child soldiers in theatres of conflict).

Although that said if in the UK someone wasnt bothering to heat their home and there where other indicators or neglectful, rough living then there could be a case.