User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I disagree! my church practices "radical hospitality" which IMO is pretty great.

Velveteen Rabbi: Radical Hospitality (Radical Torah repost)
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Often, the games arising from religion and politics remind me of schoolyard boys' shenanigans.

:rolli:

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INT-

Quote Originally Posted by xNTP View Post
    No no no no no. This isn't like just burning something that they own, like incense or a resume. Burning the Quran is a symbol of extreme disapproval and hatred. It is a big deal because it signals that hatred and aggressive intolerance is spreading (or exacerbating) in the US. It is a very big deal. Americans have to be more thoughtful, vigilant, and responsible about their impulses and not let them be ruled by them like other fundamentalists, especially Islamic.
    Maybe Americans should also work on being less reactionary, thus causing them to not give a shit when some attention-whore realizes he can get airtime if he sets some books on fire?

I'll leave symbols for the symbol-minded.
    INTP 4w5 SX/SP
    Tritype 4/5/8

How could you not care? That kind of apathy is astounding. Your world is crumbling before you and you can't even be bothered to show an emotional reaction?
    haha...WHAT???? crumbling, eh? Maybe I should try being an alarmist too.

[quote=xNTP;1270566]
    I know that fundamentalists don't appreciate the world and the gift--it's really a gift--of life and consciousness. They are too selfish and afraid to take an objective survey of the universe and see what's really going on. But I would expect more out of someone like you who I assume has paid for and received a liberal arts education. If you can't be bothered to care, I have no idea how anyone else will, and that scares the shit out of me.
    Fundamentalists appreciate the world as much as anyone, that's why they'll kill and die to make the world right. I'm sure if the fundamentalists had a liberal arts education they would see the world from your subjective perspective. I hope you're saving up to pay for a billion college tuitions, I'm fucking broke.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Fan.of.Townsend View Post
    Maybe Americans should also work on being less reactionary, thus causing them to not give a shit when some attention-whore realizes he can get airtime if he sets some books on fire?

I'll leave symbols for the symbol-minded.
    If you choose to ignore it because you don't want to give them attention, that's one thing. But that's not why you're ignoring it. You're ignoring it because you refuse to (or don't) realize it's significance.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
    haha...WHAT???? crumbling, eh? Maybe I should try being an alarmist too.
    Seriously? Alarmist? Do you have any idea what's going on in the world right now? We live in very desperate times.

Fundamentalists appreciate the world as much as anyone, that's why they'll kill and die to make the world right. I'm sure if the fundamentalists had a liberal arts education they would see the world from your subjective perspective. I hope you're saving up to pay for a billion college tuitions, I'm fucking broke.
    Nice, but you've confused necessary with sufficiency. A quality liberal arts education might be sufficient, but it is not necessary. What's necessary is real communication and contact, and you don't need billions to do that, just an open mind, commitment, and determination.

sammy

Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post
    I'm neutral on the whole religious book burning thing. If I'm not mistaken, both religions wish each other to eternal damnation in the afterlife anyway, so burning a couple books is pretty minor and symbolic. It's just beating a dead horse. Or setting one on fire I guess.

I'm also pretty much pro- anything that pokes fun at islamic faith in hopes of either desensitizing them to how the rest of the world works, or giving the rest of the world a bit of a backbone to stand up to extremism. Ideally some of both.
    Islam supports Christianity by reconfirming its legitimacy countless times throughout the text... Not by condemning Christians to hell. Do a little research before you're mistaken like you were here.

You are not very neutral with your second paragraph, FYI.

Seriously? Alarmist? Do you have any idea what's going on in the world right now? We live in very desperate times.

Nice, but you've confused necessary with sufficiency. A quality liberal arts education might be sufficient, but it is not necessary. What's necessary is real communication and contact, and you don't need billions to do that, just an open mind, commitment, and determination.
    Yes, you are an alarmist, like an overbearing mother. Maybe you can help give me an idea of what's going on in the world right now, maybe something super-desperate that will change my way of seeing the world?

Real communication and contact? Open-mindedness and determination? Are you serious? Can you explain how those nouns are going to prevent suicide bombings and terrorist attacks by radical muslims?
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    You are not very neutral with your second paragraph, FYI.
    Neutrality normally implies a sort of moderate between two sides. I'm not on the side of the Quran or the Bible as I don't follow either. What I'm opposed to are groups that demand special political correctness lest they threaten murder or other vengence in retaliation, which is unfortunately the domain of certain parties and not others.

MBTI
    INTj

Default Burn the Quran Day

What's wrong with what this guy is doing? Why all the international attention?

Pressure rises on pastor who wants to burn Quran - Yahoo! News

Sure, it's done with questionable taste, just like building a Mosque at ground zero, but he's a private citizen in America exercising his rights. Shouldn't he have the right to offend?