User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

You have some oddly restrictive ideas of what church should be. It's called freedom of religion because people are free to have whatever religion they want. That includes a religion that is at war with other religions. You don't have to personally appreciate or value it to value the freedom of others to worship as they please.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by SNUGGLETRON View Post
    >destroying knowledge
    >knowledge
    >the Quran

excuse me, wtf r u doin
    What do you mean what Am I doing?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

If burning the most sacred book of the world's second most practiced religion is a command sent from Thy Holy Spirit to better humanity and spread love and harmony to all then by all means burn that sucker.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelic View Post
    If burning the most sacred book of the world's second most practiced religion is a command sent from Thy Holy Spirit to better humanity and spread love and harmony to all then by all means burn that sucker.
    You seem to think I'm defending this as a great thing to do. I'm not. But they have the right to do it. You called freedom of speech a luxury, which it is not. It is a right.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Yes, I see your point, but I still disagree. Logically, you're right. But this really pushes moral boundaries even if it is comparable to the stupid stuff parents teach kids.

And plus, it's a Church. Peacefully places of love where people can set aside differences, deal with conflicts, and follow in God's will...burning the Quran is not an act of God in my eyes. But if you're into that sort of church festivity, then it's cool.
    I think I said earlier that I think such activities are stupid. It's definitely not my thing, but it doesn't have to be my thing. The whole point of freedom is that people can do what they want whether other people think it's a good idea or not.

I lean more towards the peace and love thing myself, but I'm also very aware that there is a lot of violence and conflict in what is traditional Christian cannon -- a fair bit of it endorsed by God. I think all of the big three monotheistic religions have a decent amount of that in their scriptures. Any restrictions put on churches would soon be applied to synagogues and mosques -- not a good precedent, IMO.

I find the whole idea of burning books of any kind silly. I find the idea of burning the scriptures of other religions extremely offensive and counter-productive. I suspect it is simply a scare tactic to get people to donate money to the people organizing the event, but I'm cynical like that. I've noticed a lot of special interest groups love to use scare tactics and hatred to raise money. I think it's a despicable practice. But I like my religious freedoms and freedom of speech and know that in order to protect my freedoms, everyone's freedoms need to be protected. I don't want to go back to the bad old days of state religion and the prosecution and persecution of dissenting beliefs.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    You seem to think I'm defending this as a great thing to do. I'm not. But they have the right to do it. You called freedom of speech a luxury, which it is not. It is a right.
    yes, they sure do have the right to do it. Morally speaking though, I don't think these people (church people) should be the ones to do it. I wouldn't have any problem if it wasn't a church.

you want your child going to a church that posts "islam is of the devil"? Then to grow up and think every islamic child is a child of satan? it also puts us back about 50 years in social development to a time where we were pulling the same shinanigans with afro americans. The KKK were god sent freaking disciples. and plus, free speech doesn't justify or give anyone reason to take such actions against an entire religion and 1.5 billion of its followers. but whatever, if it's their legal right to free speech then it must be alright.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

No, I don't want my child going to a church that posts "islam is of the devil" or any of that. I don't want them at a lot of churches. That's why I exercise my freedom of religion to pick another one. But this is not about what I personally value and approve of.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    No, I don't want my child going to a church that posts "islam is of the devil" or any of that. I don't want them at a lot of churches. That's why I exercise my freedom of religion to pick another one. But this is not about what I personally value and approve of.
    Alright, we're at an understanding.

Sniffles

I don't think the luxury of freedom of speech should be fully exercised within churches. that's just my 2c.
    Children go to Church. Children are directly affected about what they see and hear at a Church. If a church were to burn the Quran and preach Islam to be of the Devil, it will have a direct effect on children. Follow?
    The old "won't somebody please think of the children?" bid.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I think I'm going to have to find out if my kids are learning about the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and history like the the Inquisition/Tudor period stuff in school. If not they are about to learn it anyway.

You'd think that having gone to an Independent Fundamental Baptist high school that I wouldn't know it, but there you go.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers