User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Oh sure! Just one more...last one. I promise, plz!

It's just gonna be one of those things that sticks with us forever. Like herpes.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelic View Post
    I don't think the luxury of freedom of speech should be fully exercised within churches. that's just my 2c.
    I don't understand how you mean this, could you elaborate?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Book burning is just about the worst crime against humanity I can think of.
    It doesn't matter what the book is about.
    The whole concept of destroying knowledge and/or art is outrageous.:steam:

Shame on these people!!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I don't understand how you mean this, could you elaborate?
    Children go to Church. Children are directly affected about what they see and hear at a Church. If a church were to burn the Quran and preach Islam to be of the Devil, it will have a direct effect on children. Follow?
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

What makes that different from any other form of free speech outside of a church? Children are exposed to free speech everywhere, not just in churches.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelic View Post
    Children go to Church. Children are directly affected about what they see and hear at a Church. If a church were to burn the Quran and preach Islam to be of the Devil, it will have a direct effect on children. Follow?
    I follow, but I disagree. Freedom of religion is as much a fundamental right as freedom of speech. If nobody is instigating acts of physical violence against others, then it is just another opinion. Parents and others teach kids stupid stuff every day, I see no reason stupid religious stuff should be singled out.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I would like to say I am shocked - but I'm not. Grossly disappointed and finding it extremely ironic to read this at the same time as the two new discussions on the board:

Our Age: How Will it Be Remembered? and

World Peace: and how we can not add to the chaos of the world
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    The whole concept of destroying knowledge and/or art is outrageous.:steam:
    >destroying knowledge
    >knowledge
    >the Quran

excuse me, wtf r u doin

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I follow, but I disagree. Freedom of religion is as much a fundamental right as freedom of speech. If nobody is instigating acts of physical violence against others, then it is just another opinion. Parents and others teach kids stupid stuff every day, I see no reason stupid religious stuff should be singled out.
    Yes, I see your point, but I still disagree. Logically, you're right. But this really pushes moral boundaries even if it is comparable to the stupid stuff parents teach kids.

And plus, it's a Church. Peacefully places of love where people can set aside differences, deal with conflicts, and follow in God's will...burning the Quran is not an act of God in my eyes. But if you're into that sort of church festivity, then it's cool.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    What makes that different from any other form of free speech outside of a church? Children are exposed to free speech everywhere, not just in churches.
    Yo...maybe it's just me, but it seems like people (or maybe just I) would go to a church to escape those sort of problems.